Chinese Gooseberry, Kiwi Fruit, Yang Tao
Actinidia deliciosa

Family: Actinidiaceae (ak-tin-id-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Actinidia (ak-tih-NID-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: deliciosa (de-lis-ee-OH-suh) (Info)
Synonym:Actinidia chinensis

Mount Airy, Georgia

Tillamook, Oregon

Allyn, Washington

On Jan 9, 2015, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

There's a plant growing on a fence in the Arnold Arboretum (Boston Z6a), though I don't know how old it is.

It used to be called "Chinese gooseberry", but it couldn't be successfully marketed under that name in the USA during the Cold War. A marketer for the New Zealand growers tried calling it "kiwi fruit", and the rest is history.

The hardier species (A. arguta, A. polygama, A. kolomikta) have fruit that's just as tasty and doesn't need to be peeled.

On Jul 23, 2010, insipidtoast from Santa Barbara, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Here's another plant that didn't make it in our area. I'm not sure why exactly, but suspect our soil was too alkaline and dry, as the other Californian said.

On Jul 26, 2005, mt_alder from Allyn, WA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I don't actualy grow this plant but a neighbor 1/8 mile down the road has 6 vines and they are HUGE! It fruits profusely producing at least 50 lbs a vine. The taste is something you can only dream of.

Exitedly mt_alder

On Aug 9, 2004, busybarbie from Melbourne
Australia wrote:

Kiwifruit are delicious. Or Chinese Gooseberry is what we used to call them in New Zealand before the growers made the fruit more commercial.
Cut lengthways and scoop flesh out with spoon. Eat there and then or add to a fruit salad. Or leave fruit whole and peel away the fuzzy skin, slice into rounds and add to the top of a creamed sponge cake - wow, now that was a huge piece of New Zealand culture when I was growing up.
I can't imagine these plants will grow, let alone fruit in dry and drought conditions, maybe in pots if you keep the water up to them.

On Aug 9, 2004, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

Here some people call it "chinese strawberry", and it was its commercial name before they started calling it Kiwi. Its similar to a strawberry in taste (well... not entirely, but one can associate both tastes). The only weird thing is the fuzzy peel that has to be removed. I personaly like to cut the fruit in a half and eat the pulp with a spoom without peeling it. Also gives a good touch to fruit salads. Not my favorite fruit, but I give it a OK.

On Aug 8, 2004, martina from El Cajon, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Our balance up to this moment is rather negative since we live in the desert-like area and are impatient. I was hoping to get fruit from my 3 females (& 1 male) Vincent vine but so far only got nice wild growth (new fuzzy pinkish shoots are very nice). I am also careful not to prune it in spring as that would produce a lot of sap drip.
I have fought several adversary conditions
a) time - literature says that one has to be patient for about 5 years b) water - kiwis need abundant water and that is a problem east fo San Diego - every year our plants suffer a drought shock (without giving us a proper timely warning). ALthough we water them often in a sudden heat wave or after a little bit of watering delay their leaves droop, dry at the ends and finally drop off. THis happened ... read more