Texas Sage, Texas Ranger, Cenizo, Barometer Bush, Silverleaf, Purple Sage 'Bertstar Dwarf'

Leucophyllum frutescens

Family: Scrophulariaceae (skrof-yoo-larr-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Leucophyllum (loo-koh-FIL-um) (Info)
Species: frutescens (froo-TESS-enz) (Info)
Cultivar: Bertstar Dwarf
Additional cultivar information:(PP10855; aka Silverado)
Hybridized by Lacourse-Thomas

Corpus Christi, Texas

Deer Park, Texas

Ennis, Texas

Ferris, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (3 reports)

Garland, Texas (2 reports)

Georgetown, Texas

Kermit, Texas

Knox City, Texas

La Porte, Texas

Mc Kinney, Texas

Odessa, Texas

Portland, Texas

Rowlett, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Spring Branch, Texas

Sugar Land, Texas

Uvalde, Texas

Waxahachie, Texas

Wichita Falls, Texas

On Dec 6, 2014, megmac from Ontario

Several months ago I was given a potted Texas Sage standard. Being in Ontario I have been keeping this plant indoors. The tree was doing well, showing new growth, however it seems to be struggling now. The tree has droopy leaves and they seem to fall off quite easily. The tree also hasnt produced any new growth for a while. Ive never tried to keep a tree like this indoors over the winter. Im wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

I have not transplanted it since it was given to me. I try not to water it to often. Perhaps it is not getting enough sunlight?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

On Dec 3, 2014, CAndersen from Apple Valley
United States wrote:

My picture shows Texas Ranger facing West close to the house. When in bloom it is a knockout site covered in bees busy getting nectar. When flowers are spent they drop making a litter mess but who cares after their wonderful show! They need to be trimmed down at least twice a year. Extra water seems to bring on the blooms. I have 11 and have had them for 15 years. Wonderful fragrance.
To megmac: Your climate zone is too cold for planting outside. I would give more water and keep it in a sunny window area inside and just hope for the best.

On Jun 22, 2012, Jo531 from Garland, TX wrote:

There are several varieties of Texas Sage. One is bushier at the bottom; therefore, looks better in "winter." I have a row of 4 in front of my front window facing east. From 10 am until 1 pm, very hot in summer. I water every day, because I am out watering any ways, but I don't need to. I sprinkle water on it too, but it likes the rain. I cut it back to 3' in the winter. Seems to helpl make the base bushier. Plants are easy to grow. Pest free. Bees love them. Beautiful dainty flowers Love them. Happy in 112 degrees like no other plants.

On Jul 4, 2011, smokeyjoe11 from Sun Lakes, AZ wrote:

Is it possible to plant in a Pot or Box with drip system?

On Jul 13, 2010, JohnTS71 from San Antonio, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

you need to correct the height of this plant. Mine is around 7 feet tall now and about 5 feet wide. this took 2 years to grow like this from a small 1 foot tall plant bought from lowes.

On May 29, 2009, faithiep from Oldsmar, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Love the plant, I'd just recommend that owners keep up with pruning...over the winter, my 3 plants suddenly got very leggy and kind of empty of leaves on the inside of the foliage, enough that they looked like they were having a problem. I pruned carefully and the insides filled out beautifully. Fast grower, resilient in our hot FL sun. One is in part-shade and it does fine too, just grows slower.

On Jul 8, 2008, Darmananda from New Iberia, LA wrote:

Avoid watering this plant since it is native to desert. Once established, occasional rain should be enough. For those of you who are worried about the plant not blooming, it isn't unusual. The plant is made bloom by rain (one hour or more of continuous drip) plus heat and humidity that follows. You will see lines of buds on the branches in between leaves a couple days after the rain. If you haven't gotten rain it won't bloom yet. Just wait for the rain and start checking for buds. I planted mine on some really bad clay soil surrounded by purchased gravels (not natural to the area). I didn't water after a week of planting (assumed it was settled) and now it only get watered when it rains. The plant is really full of silky and shiny grayish-green leaves. It bloomed twice since I planted it o... read more

On May 12, 2007, diggo1 from Little Rock, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

I purchased 4 of these shrubs tagged 'Silverado Sage' in a 1g pot
in '02, knowing well how risky it would be here
in central Arkansas. They are planted along a fairly busy street in questionable soil. Year 1: Lost most of foliage that winter.
Year 2: I left them alone, and they went crazy,
growing at least 2' that year with a few sporadic blooms.
Year 3: In the winter they shed at least half their foliage,
so I pruned them 1/4 back. They bloomed in late spring,
and then again in late fall. I HAVE NEVER PURPOSELY
TWICE A YEAR SINCE. This has been my pattern of care
for this shrub with MUCH SUCCESS!

On Aug 19, 2004, salvia_lover from Modi'in
Israel wrote:

Here in Israel, this plant thrives. I never do anything to it other than give it regular water in the summer (we have NO precipitation May-Oct). It loves full sun and does great in our August heat. It doesn't mind pruning no matter how hard you cut it back and shape it. Definitely a nice addition to any garden.

On Jul 1, 2004, djtrl from Tulsa, OK wrote:

I am not having much luck growing this plant in Tulsa, OK, where I purchased it. It is continually losing leaves and growing new foliage and has not bloomed at all in the last year. I see from the other notes that perhaps I am too far north. It is planted on the north side of a fence, so it gets lots of full sun during the summer, but not as much during the winter. Maybe I didn't water it enough last year after I planted it. Has anyone had any pest problems? How about soil conditions - mine's planted in kind of heavy soil. I loved the look of the plant when I bought it, so if anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

On Sep 5, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, TX
The more common Texas sage has an irregular and open shape which can become leggy with the base of the plant losing its leaves and even branches with lack of light. An improvement in growth habit, 'Bertstar Dwarf' (trademark name Silverado Sage), is full and dense to the base, rounded in shape and reaches a height and width of 4 feet. By pruning, it can be kept at a lower heighth. Being drought and heat tolerant (once established), this plant is great in xeriscape gardens. Color Spot Nurseries, Southwest Division, in San Antonio, Texas and Turkey Creek Farms Inc. in Humble, Texas jointly introduced Silverado Sage.

Not having grown this variety myself, I can not give it a positive nor negative rating. However, I have observed it growing in several loc... read more