Muscadine, Southern Fox Grape, Scuppernong, Bullace
Vitis rotundifolia

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vitis (VEE-tiss) (Info)
Species: rotundifolia (ro-tun-dih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Muscadinia rotundifolia

Edible Fruits and Nuts

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Good Fall Color

By simple layering

By tip layering

By serpentine layering

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Atmore, Alabama

Manvel, Texas

Rye, Texas

negative

On Sep 16, 2014, Amomckoy from Sumter, SC wrote:

We grow at least 6 varieties of Muscadines, from light bronze to black. We look forward all summer to the end of August when we can fill our senses with that wonderful sweet aroma and flavor. Like many southerners, we have good memories of sharing them under the arbors of our grandparents, and learning how to eat them using our teeth to keep the seeds in the hulls while squirting the juice and pulp into our mouths.
It is interesting how alike and how different the various varieties are. Some come in a little earlier or later than most and we are glad to have extended the season a bit. Almost all are pass along vines, and we are in the process of propagating one from an old family farm. Our least favorite came from a big box store.
The season seems to be ending too early thi... read more

On Aug 18, 2013, Phellos from Port Vincent, LA wrote:

These plants are native in southeast Louisiana. There are many places where you can find the fruits on the ground, though I don't recommend eating them from the ground, as they are usually chewed by squirrels, pecked by birds, or hollowed out by insects. On occasion, you may get lucky and find one untouched, thought it is still a good idea to wash it.

They can also be trained up certain trees for a unique appearance. A one or two decades old muscadine grown up a tree with lots of irrigation can produce a very twisted, tropical liana look, even with occasional aerial roots.

Be careful with young trees, however, as the vine can overpower and stunt the tree's growth if not cut at the ground at least twice a year. This can be tiresome, but rewarding, because t... read more

On Aug 18, 2011, DeannaC from Oviedo, FL wrote:

My FAVORITE grape of all time! I have NEVER purchased grapes in any kind of market because they are so horribly inferior to the Scuppernong.
I was shocked at the response that claimed that it was not a worthwhile plant! As a 7th generation Florida native, we had no idea that there was any other kind of grape!
Yes, the skin IS thick, which keeps the fruit viable in our hot weather and is a fabulous deterrent to most insects. Also, it makes the BEST jams and jellies, not to mention Muscadine wine!

Apparently, it's just another one of the florida delicacies that yankees (yankee=north of the Volusia county line) can never appreciate.

Muscadines will grow unprompted and unpruned. They are a indigenous fruiting vine and in my opinion, the ON... read more

On Aug 11, 2011, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

Got a volunteer growing in the mess that is my neighbors shrub/property line. Fruits are great when left to get really ripe, making wild muscadine jelly for the first time this year, Got some cultivated varieties in another location larger sweeter fruit, for wine. The wild vine is a blessing for us and the critters, when I find new plants springing up I simply share them with a neighbor.

On Aug 27, 2005, RobD_SC from Columbia, SC (Zone 8a) wrote:

I propagated mine from seed gathered along the Congaree River. While people's tastes will differ, the birds and squirrels love muscadines. This is a plant worth growing for its wildlife value.

On Aug 12, 2005, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

Agree with previous comment. And add that the fruit are not worth the trouble--rubbery, seedy, rather ordinary flavor.

On Aug 12, 2005, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

Although native, this vine is almost as aggressive as Chinese wisteria. It grows up trees and weighs down lower branches until they break of. If you have time to keep this vine trained to a fence and prune it regularly it will produce tasty fruit but it grows so fast it can get out of control quickly. There is a vineyard close to where I live that makes scuppernong wine that is very good.

On May 25, 2005, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

These grapes grow everywhere they find something to climb on. In shade, part shade, part sun, and sun. They make HUGE thick vines that I find hanging down from the trees, I've found ones that are taller than a house.

I've yet to sample or see any fruit because the japanese beetles decimate them every year.

On Dec 31, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Florida native plant and it turns a pale yellow in the fall/winter. Can be found covering dead trees in my area. In some cases it would appear to be a large shrub. Early January is the best time in Florida to enjoy the fall color as it is plentiful up and down the highways here.

On Sep 5, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

We inherited two Muscadine plants trained on a clothesline-turned-arbor on the property. On the plus side, we've found that Muscadines make good grape jelly (a pretty, rosy-purple color and good flavor.)

The tough skin, large seeds, and the "pucker-factor" (pretty tart, even when fully ripe) make them unpalatable for eating fresh out of hand, at least for my family (we've been spoiled by big, sweet, thin-skinned, seedless imported grapes, I suppose.)

Until I tasted a Muscadine, I thought all grape-flavored products (candy, soda, medicine) were far removed from any resemblance to a true grape flavor. After eating a few of these natural "Shock-Tarts", I've concluded that an artificial grape flavor isn't so far off-base after all!

I also have tro... read more