PlantFiles: Graybark Grape, Summer Grape
Vitis cinerea

Family: Vitaceae (vee-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Vitis (VEE-tiss) (Info)
Species: cinerea (sin-EER-ee-uh) (Info)

Synonym:Vitis aestivalis var. canescens
Synonym:Vitis aestivalis var. cinerea
Synonym:Vitis cinerea var. canescens
Synonym:Vitis cinerea var. cinerea

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Good Fall Color

Thumbnail #1 of Vitis cinerea by texasflora_com

Thumbnail #2 of Vitis cinerea by texasflora_com

Thumbnail #3 of Vitis cinerea by texasflora_com

Thumbnail #4 of Vitis cinerea by texasflora_com

Neutral Turkeywing On Jul 21, 2014, Turkeywing from Brownsboro, TX wrote:

I am looking on several hundred acres of family land for wild grapes. I have found this growing wild. I have yet to harvest it, but I am interested in using what juice I can get with muscadine and making a wine. I have noticed that last year there were A LOT more clusters than there are this year (2014).

Positive texasflora_com On Oct 14, 2010, texasflora_com from De Leon, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

After much research, I've concluded this is the grape that is so widespread in my area. Texas has 13 or 14 varieties of native grapes and the rootstock of some (including sand grape) were used to cure the phylloxera plague in 19th century Europe, where most of the vineyards were destroyed. Native Texas grapes are resistant. Without those native Texas rootstock, there would be no V. vinifera wine industry in Europe today. From what I've read elsewhere, it's more commonly called "winter grape" than "summer grape" as on this site. This is supposedly because the fruit ripens more toward winter. They have been ripening here for at least the last month and there are many freshly ripened ones still on the vines and it's now mid October. I also read elsewhere that you can see "spider webs" on the back of the leaf under slight magnification and I did find this on the leaves. I'll be uploading pics. The grapes are the size of a sweet pea, sometimes slightly larger and the taste is mildly tart and semi-sweet and not much juice. There are one to three seeds per grape.

Brownsboro, Texas