Tahitian Gardenia, Tiare

Gardenia taitensis

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: taitensis (ty-TEN-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Gardenia weissichii

Flowers are good for cutting

By simple layering

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

Rancho Mirage, California

Kailua Kona, Hawaii

Deridder, Louisiana

Spring, Texas

On Feb 21, 2015, Konagirl from Kailua Kona, HI wrote:

Here in Kona our plant has reached 15 to 18 feet planted in full sun. It was languishing in a mostly shady spot until transplanted several years ago. It gets fertilized occasionally and gets no other special care. We live next to pasture land not too far from where there once was a stream so we are fortunate to have soil that is deeper than many places in Kona.

On Dec 6, 2012, malika1 from Toa Baja, PR (Zone 11) wrote:

If you love jasmines and gardenias, and you do not own this plant, get it! I mean, get the double! I think it is even more exciting than the Duke of Tuscany Sambac. Really. The flowers are massive and the leaves are leathery, healthy, and darkish green. Large plants can be expensive, but this is a once-in-a-lifetime plant to own. Mine went for 85 bucks, but is is huge...oh, I live in Puerto Rico and has anyone had luck with clippings?

Also, in the market for trades of rare, scented plant rooted clippings and seeds...

On Oct 20, 2012, ksmithii from Rancho Mirage, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

I purchased a 6" rooted Tiare' 14 months ago (8/11). I have been told that it would not grow in the SoCal desert. Well...it is now 3' tall and 5' wide. At one time, it had 81 buds! Some of my pictures are in the gallery.

On May 14, 2012, Ladiebug1982 from Spring, TX wrote:

Ladiebug1982- Spring, TX
I ordered this plant about a month ago from Amazon.com. It came potted and ready to be put it in the ground. Although the flowers have not yet bloomed, they are sprouting very nicely. Soon our garden will have some beautiful color. I am anxiously waiting for the first flower!

On Jan 11, 2005, tiareman from Melbourne Beach, FL wrote:

Tahitian Gardenia is also known as the Tiare Flower. It is a very highly coveted flower in Tahiti, where it plays many roles..

The Tiare flower is the emblem of Tahiti and is believed to relieve migraines and earaches, cure some forms of eczema and even heal wounds.

When I first flew to Tahiti, the stewardess walked through the plane with a bowl of closed Tiare buds and handed them out to the passengers. They are worn tucked behind the ear, and similar to Hawaiian customs, there are different "meanings" attached to which ear you use and which direction you place it.

Tiare Flowers are also used to make leis, and I'll tell you: a full lei made of Tahitian Gardenia is a heavenly scent like no other.

Tiare Flower is also one of the bi... read more