Gardenia, Cape Jasmine, Gandharaj 'Veitchii'

Gardenia jasminoides

Family: Rubiaceae
Genus: Gardenia (gar-DEEN-ya) (Info)
Species: jasminoides (jaz-min-OY-deez) (Info)
Cultivar: Veitchii
Synonym:Gardenia angusta
Synonym:Gardenia augusta
Synonym:Gardenia florida
Synonym:Gardenia grandiflora

Flowers are good for cutting

By simple layering

Long Beach, California

Los Angeles, California

Manhattan Beach, California

Oceanside, California

Sacramento, California (2 reports)

Santa Clara, California

Casselberry, Florida

Clearwater, Florida

Daytona Beach, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (3 reports)

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Miami, Florida (2 reports)

North Port, Florida

Broaddus, Texas

Carrollton, Texas

Deer Park, Texas

El Paso, Texas

Fort Worth, Texas (2 reports)

Frisco, Texas

Katy, Texas

Roanoke, Texas

San Angelo, Texas

Alexandria, Virginia (2 reports)

Graham, Washington

Paine Field-lake Stickney, Washington

On Oct 3, 2015, islay from Long Beach, CA wrote:

I bought two of these and planted them in large pots , both took off and bloomed . Then I moved one and it died so I replaced it and paid more attention to location . Both get full sun, I water twice a week and they are wonderful , bushy healthy plants . I recently emptied the spent grounds from the coffee maker on one of them and the results were astonishing so now both get occasional coffee. It's October and they are in flower in Long Beach California. The scent is divine.

On Oct 16, 2007, joegee from Bucyrus, OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

Deliciously fragrant double gardenia. Veitchii flourishes in Ohio as a potted patio plant. Give her an occasional watering with old coffee, feed her with fish extract once a month, keep her moist, not soaked, and keep her shaded from the afternoon sun; she'll reward you with scrumptious perfumed blossoms you'll be able to smell at ten feet. I love this gardenia.

On Apr 30, 2006, kayalena from Dunnellon, FL wrote:

After I planted my 4 gardenias last year they started dying. Leaves were turning yellow and eventually would fall off. All of the buds that they had coming out of the nursery browned at the tips and fell off as well. They looked so bad I thought of getting rid of them. After searching for a remedy I discovered coffee. Every 2 weeks I make a pot of coffee and I divide it equally between them. Apparently my soil was not acidic enough for them. After a few weeks they plumped up. The leaves are luscious green and look very healthy. About 2-3 weeks ago they started blooming. There are about 3-5 flowers on each gardenia at a given time with plenty more buds waiting to open up. I don't know if this is normal but I can enjoy the lovely scent longer this way. Gardenias are very addictive.

On Apr 24, 2006, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Zone 8B
My Gardenia has plump blooms ready to open.

So far this year, April 2006, I've not had scale on leaves! Leaves are not green enough. Must add iron sulphate.

This is one of my favorites, from way back.
Happy, successful gardening!

On Jul 7, 2005, geekgranny from Cedar Hill, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I purchased this 3' X 3' plant last year (04) at the end of July. It was in a 24" pot, several years old, full of buds, at a home, near a swimming pool, on concrete, getting full west sun from mid day to evening, in the Dallas Texas area the owner wintered her plants in a partial buliding with tarp on two sides and a small heater; not enough heat for banannas to form fruit but just enough to keep tropicals alive but semi-dormant). 2004 was an unusually cool summer for our area with only a couple of days reaching above 100 F versus the usual 30+ days above 100. We also had loads of rain in 2004. At my house I immediatly placed it in full sun, all day, near my pool, on concrete. It didn't suffer any bud drop and continued to bloom and produce blooms until I moved it into my greenhouse in e... read more

On May 30, 2005, mkjones from Aurora, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I did it! After years of admiring the gardenia, buying with the resolve of MAKING it live, I finally did it! I planted one into the ground, in full sun with partial shade. It is only shaded during the very heat of the afternoon by a crepe myrtle's shadow. Not only did it live, thrive, put on new leaves and branches, but it's blooming nonstop!! I'm thrilled. =)

On Nov 17, 2004, wwnight from North Port, FL wrote:

This type of gardenia grows very well in Florida in full sun.The only problem I had was black sotty mold ,which I washed off after several days with high pressure water.The flowers on my plant which is about 2' high where 25. The flowers average 3 to 4" in diameter

On May 19, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Though the flowers are a bit smaller than other cultivars, 'Veitchii' makes up for it with a profusion of flowers. In central Florida, it is recommended that only grafted specimens be grown. They are likely to get nematodes from the soil if they are on their own roots.

On May 17, 2004, guanabanaboy from Oceanside, CA wrote:

Gardenias are not recommended for my area of the country - coastal Southern California - because we do not get enough heat. However, I have Gardenia Veitchii growing on Gardenia Thunbergia root stock, and they have even opened one or two blooms in December - outside. In May, the gardenias averaged 20+ open blooms per 16 inch tall plant. I chose the grafted version because the Thunbergia root stock is better able to take up iron from the soil. This is especially important in cooler climates because gardenias have a harder time taking up iron when its roots are cool. This is not to say that I have not had to add supplemental iron, because I have. Ferrous Sulfate seemed to work well for me, it adds iron plus it helps acidify the soil which the gardenias appreciate.

On Mar 14, 2004, phoenix52n wrote:

First the nursery said to plant the gardenias on the west side. I did, and they died. Then they said OH NO, to plant on the north side. I did, and they're barely growing. Slow to do anything, but healthy. Only get a few flowers, because they're not in the sun 8 months of they year, and when they do get sun it is only for 2-3 hours a day.

The last gardenia, I kept indoors. It is doing GREAT!!! I keep it in a south facing window with sheer curtain panels to protect it from the direct sunlight, and keep the soil moist. I open the window and/or turn on the fan to give it a sense of a breeze, and it's happy. Happier -- I think -- than those in the north.