Chinese Pear, Japanese Pear, Asian Pear, Sand Pear, Nashi Fruit
Pyrus pyrifolia

Family: Rosaceae (ro-ZAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Pyrus (PY-russ) (Info)
Species: pyrifolia (py-rih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Synonym:Pyrus serotina

Ballinger, Texas

Troup, Texas

North Sultan, Washington

On Oct 5, 2009, daesaflgatorfan from Sumter, SC wrote:

These are long-lived trees, my 88 yr old uncle has one he planted as a teen, and it is still producing fruit. Like old apple trees, the middle of the tree can die and rot, leaving an opening through which you can reach your arm. This is the case of my uncle's tree. The fruit is great in baked desserts, and the trees withstand severe drought.

On Aug 27, 2007, Hexham from Orange Springs, FL wrote:

Although the tree gets rather large and the fruit small, the size of a baseball or smaller, texture hard as a rock, they make excelent canning pears. I have so far canned 20 quarts and the tree is still full, my tree is 20 years old. Later through the winter I use the canned fruit to make Apple pie, no one can tell the difference. Mine gets no special care,no feeding or spraying. The one and only problem is the Squirrels, one or two bites of a pear and they throw it down and start on a new one.

On Mar 28, 2006, escambiaguy from Atmore, AL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I certainly agree with the last comment, eating too many raw pears will have you running to the bathroom. I have a tree in my backyard that was planted by my grandfather. It is older than I am (28). I can remember as a child eating pear cobbler. Even now, sometimes the tree will get so loaded with fruit that it breaks the branches. The deer love the pears. I see them in mid-day eating them off of the ground. Occasionally I find some thorny offspring in the woods that I have to cut down but I would not consider it as invasive as some other plants.

On Jun 10, 2004, davidreese from Tampa, FL wrote:

This tree is known to be prevalent in Mississippi, Alabama, and North West Florida. My grandfather had an orchard of these trees in Florida that dates back to the late 1800s. As they grew in sandy soil, and when cut open they looked like there was sand inside, they were called sand pears. Having grown up around these, I thought that pear shaped was round. To have more trees, after pruning simply place the limbs in the ground and water. I bury the limbs about 18 inches to 24 inches deep. I did the hole with the garden hose. The new tree will bear fruit in a few years.

As a child I often had these pears for desert. They were easy to can. When used in a pie, it tastes like apple pie. This is a very nice summer shade tree. Eating too many raw pears will act like a l... read more

On Nov 12, 2003, noxiousweed from El Sobrante, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

We have a fabulous asian pear tree in our new back yard - they tend to grow straight up without pruning, and this is what has happened here. That's a shame (when you're picking fruit) but ... it's an easy tree and the fruit is fabulous. I'm not a pear fan, but these are an exceptional pear.