Peanut, Groundnut, Earthnut, Goober Pea, Monkey Nut
Arachis hypogaea

Family: Papilionaceae (pa-pil-ee-uh-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Arachis (a-RAK-is) (Info)
Species: hypogaea (hy-poh-JEE-uh) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Not Applicable

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

Boynton Beach, Florida

Jenks, Oklahoma

Arlington, Texas

negative

On Oct 1, 2010, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I always put peanuts in the feeders for the Blue Jays and Squirrels, and a few days ago while walking through the backyard I noticed this little plant growing up in the lawn. I thought it was Desmodium, but when I pulled it up there was half of a peanut shell attached, I'm assuming a bird dropped a peanut and it took root. I've noticed sometimes the peanut shells have what looks like a little root hanging from one end.

On Jun 8, 2009, sladeofsky from Louisville, KY (Zone 6b) wrote:

I am giving this plant a negative rating, not because I fail to appreciate all the human uses for it, nor because of anything particularly nasty about it. In fact, it is rather pretty, looking something like an informal Baptisia. My problem is that it is naturalized in my garden where it is a paticular favorite of the squirrels. They are continuously digging, looking for nuts. They then store the excess by burying them all around the garden, thus spreading the problem.

On Nov 28, 2006, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

Peanut, Groundnut, Earthnut, Goober Pea, Monkey Nut Arachis hypogaea is Naturalized in Texas and other States.

On Sep 15, 2005, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Actually peanuts are classified as Runner, grown Primarily in Georgia, Alabama, and Florida ( primary use peanut butter), Virginia ( grown in North Carolina and south east Virginia) primary use roasted peanuts), Spanish grown primarily in Texas and the Southwest ( primary use candies ) and Valencia ( grown in New Mexico) Most home gardens use Spanish cultivars, Virginia, or the Valencia like Tennessee red or white.

On Sep 11, 2003, Aimee116 wrote:

This plant is easy to grow inside your house or in a shed where it is warm and will get lots of sunlight. I keep mine in my room it grows about 5 milimeters to a centermeter a day. On rainy days put it under a light it will still grow just as fast there as it does with real sunlight.

On Sep 5, 2003, Terry from Murfreesboro, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

Many gardeners don't think about growing their own peanuts, but it's quite possible to grow them in a home garden, as long as the growing season is long and hot enough. Peanuts are classified as runner (Spanish) or bunch and runner (Virginia) Several varieties are available.

Inoculation of peanut seeds is recommended for fist-time plantings in a particular location. They can be harvested green and boiled, or allowed to dry/cure for a week or two, similar to how you would dig potatoes and allow them to air dry and callus before storing.