Common Beech, European Beech 'Roseomarginata'

Fagus sylvatica

Family: Fagaceae (fag-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Fagus (FAG-us) (Info)
Species: sylvatica (sil-VAT-ee-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Roseomarginata
Additional cultivar information:(aka Tricolor, Purpurea Tricolor)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Chartreuse (Yellow-Green)

Good Fall Color

From seed; stratify if sowing indoors

By grafting

Bainbridge Island, Washington

Olympia, Washington

Spokane, Washington

On Mar 20, 2012, carpathiangirl from Akron, OH (Zone 5a) wrote:

I noticed the tree in the neighbourhood and only now discovered what it was. It's not common here and looks gorgeous in spring. But in mid summer I couldn't believe it was the same tree, brown, dull and muddy looking foliage all over. Maybe it's very particular about location and sun exposure and looks like would be best hidden by other trees in summer heat.

On Nov 23, 2010, audreymarmot from Annapolis
United States (Zone 7a) wrote:

In southern zones this tree may prefer some shade for best color in the leaves, so I'm told.
I'm in zone 7 and I grow all my hydrangeas in the shade with great success, even though in northern zones they seem to do fine in the sun.
Is there any way to get the information changed from "full sun" to "full sun in cooler zones, part shade in warmer zones"?

On May 29, 2008, skiekitty from Parker, CO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I saw this tree at a local nursery & had to wait as it is EXPENSIVE! However, when I finally managed to purchase one (they get only like 3 a year), I purchased a tiny little whip about 5' tall and thin as a rail.. well, more like thin as a bamboo rod that it was attached to for support. I was petrified that it was not going to come back after the winter we had (we had about about a foot of snow on it and it bent in half), and then this spring (Spring 08) we had days where it went from literally 80 degrees to snow the next day (VERY VERY wild spring).

This thing not only came back, but grew about 6" and is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen! The leaves all unfurled to a rosy magenta color that's MUCH brighter than last year and it's trying to stand up on it's own (it ... read more

On Jun 7, 2006, LorettaFay from Bloomington, IN wrote:

We have been in this home (Bloomington, IN) for only 6 months and have this tree in our back yard. The tree is only about 6-7 feet tall, still slim. The leaves are very unusual, with a bright pink border and green/bronze interior. Some of its leaves already show signs of scorching (it is now the first week of June). It is in partial shade during the afternoon.

In the fall, we want to transplant it, as it was planted too close to the house. I read that beeches do not like transplanting and the best time to do this is when the tree is still small. Since this tree is unusual, I want it to be a focal point of the yard, and it will be in full sun.

On Mar 20, 2006, cgarvin from Cottage Grove, OR (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is a great specimen plant for a small yard as it grows so slowly. The emerging leaves are astoundingly beautiful. It can suffer from transplant shock and needs regular water for the first and second summer, and the leaf color varies depending on sun or shade exposure. It has done well for me in the Pacific Northwest z8, and I would highly recomend it for someone looking for the uncommon specimen, although when your nieghbors see it they will want one too!

On Aug 10, 2004, Shedog wrote:

We purchased this tree last year, and it was beautiful. However, THIS year it is pitiful. The color is very dull and undescribable, no pink unless you look close, and then there is only a small margin around the dark, burgundy/green leaves.
We live in south western Ohio, and I have noticed that most all of the Tri-color beech trees in our area are discolored this year....some worse than others. Has anyone had a similar experience? And would anyone out there know why all these trees are so drab and ugly this year?

On Jun 14, 2004, lejardinolivia from Pittsburgh, PA wrote:

I purchased this tree 6 years ago the moment I spotted it. It has been outstanding in my yard, with it's vibrant color and and wispy growth. I use it as a specimen tree amidst the flowers of my English Cottage Garden. It caused so many people to stop by and ask what type it was and where I purchased it. As a result, I have seen many pop up in the neighborhood. I am now ready to trim it back as some of the inner growth on the branches has died back, and the branches have become lengthy. I am so afraid of misshaping the tree that I keep putting it off. Anyone, when do I trim this ?

On Mar 13, 2004, CWBYNCMH from Columbus (Berwick), OH (Zone 5b) wrote:

I have planted 3 of these trees in a trigonal pattern with enough space for a future gazeebo. The planter of the trees informed me that the tree in general had a small root ball and required a regular watering schedule for the first year and possibly the second. I was also informed that the leaves would be scorched the first year by the end of summer, but not to worry they would be fine the second year. The trees were approximately 8 to 10 feet specimens and the leaves came out a hot pink mauve color which slowly developed into the three color pattern. They will also tolerate partial shade. They are extremely slow growing.

On Jan 31, 2004, frans530 from Rankin, IL (Zone 5a) wrote:

While reading a copy of The English Gardener, I came across a garden plan that had this tree in it. They call it a Beech Pillar. It says the leaves stay on all winter. They trim the branches drastically to short stubs. It says a tight drum of leaves will form around the trunk and you keep it trim to about 26 inches in diameter. As a tree I think this is beautiful, as a piller I just think it would be breath-taking. Now I hope I can find a few in the spring.

On Sep 17, 2003, Puplover from Chaplin, CT (Zone 5b) wrote:

The first time I saw a photo of this tree I wanted one, even though it is a slow grower. I planted it in early July and watered it deeply everyday for a bout 10 minutes for the first 2 weeks. It is now mid Sept. and the tree looks just like the day I planted it, the leaves are very beautiful. I hope it lives through the winter. RIght now it is about 5.5 feet tall. I will post again in the spring.

On Jul 9, 2003, diprato from Morrisville, PA wrote:

I planted a seven-foot tri-color European Beech Tree in late spring. It immediately went into shock and eventually lost all its leaves. I have been keeping it watered, hoping it will survive because it still appears to have greenish buds at the ends of the stems.

The leaves of this tree are absolutely beautiful (mottled pink, green and white) and are very delicate (almost succulent) thick, soft and fuzzy. It is quite different from any tree I have ever planted and I'm hoping this accounts for the disturbing behavior of the leaves.