Variegated African Candelabra
Euphorbia ammak var. variegata

Family: Euphorbiaceae (yoo-for-bee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Euphorbia (yoo-FOR-bee-uh) (Info)
Species: ammak var. variegata

Cactus and Succulents

Full Shade

Pale Yellow

Mid Winter

From hardwood cuttings

Allow cut surface to callous over before planting

Chandler, Arizona

Reseda, California

Vista, California

Cleveland, Ohio

On May 2, 2008, labeille from Long Beach, CA wrote:

It is true that is is carried at nearly every Target, which is where I purchased mine. It is the variegated version - which has sort of a blue-green appearance. I have some reservations about planting it, after having read about its poisonous propensities, especially with an inquisitive dog and young grandchildren. I went to several Target stores looking for a second one, thinking I wanted a pair, but the two others I found had a brown mold-like appearance at the base of one of the legs. Interestingly, after two months in the pot, mine developed the same brown rot/root mold. We live here at the coast, near the ocean, which might have some bearing. My husband moved it under one of the eves [to keep it away from grandson] and I think it got some unwanted extra water due to the location ... read more

On Sep 20, 2006, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am still confused about whether there is another form of Euphorbia ammak, or if all are variegated... I have some plants that may be the green form, but this is by far the more common form seen about California. You can get these at any Home Depot or Target in southern California, though can't speak for the rest of the country. Super easy to grow, fast, and will root from a chopped off 'arm' easily. However, does get a bit 'top heavy' after a while and the 'arms' will often need to be chopped off, just to keep them from breaking off eventually and hurting something far below. Have seen 20'+ tall plants fallen over at the Huntington Gardens in Pasadena on multiple occasions, so I would probably recommend 'staking' your plant if you intend to let it get that tall.

Deve... read more

On Sep 12, 2005, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Planted a 4 footer three years ago outdoors and it has almost doubled in height with multiple hefty arms. The more sun the better,reflected heat boosts growth .Likes regular summer watering,fast drainage, and organic fertilizers.A very unique looking plant for the bay area.I can't think of anything else that looks like it.

On Sep 18, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Like all Euphorbia HANDLE WITH CARE, the latex/sap is dangerous and can cause skin rash, itching and general discomfort.