Stromanthe
Stromanthe sanguinea

Family: Marantaceae
Genus: Stromanthe (stroh-MAN-thee) (Info)
Species: sanguinea (san-GWIN-ee-a) (Info)

Inconspicuous/none

Vacherie, Louisiana

Galveston, Texas

La Porte, Texas

On May 17, 2005, joshz8a from z8a, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Grown indoors here in zone 8a in medium light (under wall sconce of 75 watts) but room has 2 large east and north windows so general light is good. In summer goes outside in full shade and thrives in our humid hot weather as long as kept watered. Never any disease or insect damage so far. An easy keeper for me, similar to Dracaena or Polyscias. joshZ8a

On Aug 1, 2004, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Mine started as in indoor plant but did poorly. Then planted outdoors in shady location and it's thriving! It has grown to about 5ft. The burgundy underside is striking. Funny thing, I owned it 3 years before knowing its name until yesterday when I found a variegated variety (stromanthe tricolor) at local HD. THe 2003-04 winter was very mild in Houston, I never covered it and it didn't suffer one bit. I will be covering with a blanket if temp falls below freezing.