PlantFiles: Silver Buttonwood, Button Mangrove
Conocarpus erectus var. sericeus

Family: Combretaceae
Genus: Conocarpus (koh-noh-KAR-pus) (Info)
Species: erectus var. sericeus

One member has or wants this plant for trade.

Purple
Inconspicuous/none

Silver/Gray

By air layering
By stooling or mound layering

By TamiMcNally

Thumbnail #6 of Conocarpus erectus var. sericeus by NativePlantFan9

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #7 of Conocarpus erectus var. sericeus by Equilibrium

Neutral Bugbyte On Mar 25, 2012, Bugbyte from St Augustine, FL wrote:

I live in north east Florida. The first year was great- the buttonwood flourished like crazy and survived a relatively cold winter for this area. However this winter, which was extremely mild- maybe hit 38 degrees for 2 nights, then back to the 50's sometimes 40's, the buttonwood just died. All the leaves turned brown and hard then fell off. So disappointed since it was gorgeous- about 4-5 ft in width- and beautiful.

I cut it all back and hoping for regrowth. However, I see no signs of new growth and it's been pretty warm here for over a month. Everything else is in bloom. WILL this come alive again????

Thanks
Kathy

Positive mrscott On Apr 18, 2008, mrscott from Punta Gorda, FL wrote:

I was told by a Master Gardener that Silver Buttonwood could be called another mangrove. I put them around the overflow to my salt water pool because I was told they would not be harmed by the occasional overflow of salt water. However, they are susceptible to sooty mold. I was told to use copper fungicide 1/2 tsp to a quart of water in a spray bottle. Spray the affected leaves. Also, always water the plant from below, avoiding water on the leaves. I live in South Florida so it gets plenty of humidity from nature here. Since the plants have only been in for a couple of weeks I have yet to see if what I was told is really going to work on these plants but so far, I love the added color and texture to my plant beds.

Neutral JaxFlaGardener On Sep 30, 2007, JaxFlaGardener from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I bought one of these plants from a big box store and now it looks as though I will need to give it winter protection as it is native to the Florida Keys and our freezing nights will probably be too cold for it.
Jeremy

Big Pine Key, Florida
Boca Raton, Florida
Bradenton, Florida
Islamorada, Florida
Key Colony Beach, Florida
Key Largo, Florida
Key West, Florida (2 reports)
Marathon, Florida
Saint Augustine, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
Summerland Key, Florida