PlantFiles: Golden Wattle
Acacia pycnantha

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Acacia (a-KAY-see-uh) (Info)
Species: pycnantha (pik-NAN-tha) (Info)

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Thumbnail #6 of Acacia pycnantha by ginger749

Thumbnail #7 of Acacia pycnantha by ginger749

Positive AndyM99 On Feb 9, 2011, AndyM99 from Zurich
Switzerland wrote:

Hi all. I first got to know this plant in Spain where it grew in the garden of my parents' holiday home and also in other gardens in the neighbourhood. It is a fast growing plant with very beautiful flowers. Unfortunatley it is susceptible to storms and quite a few were heavily damaged or even destroyed by strong winds, although it is possible to saw off the damaged bits and in some cases they have even grown back from stumps. Don't expect them to grow old though. Trees that are older than about 20 years tend to be very weak and fragile and need a lot of love and care to keep them going. They do spread quickly however and seedlings were shooting up everywhere but they are not deep rooted and are easy to remove as long as you don't wait too long. We always left a couple as replacements for the old trees as we never knew when the next one was going to die. Once dead, we used the old trees as good firewod. They emit a strong and fragrant smell while burning. The firewood shouldn't be stored for long though as it is very soft and attracts woodworm very quickly, The woodworm never touches live trees though and in fact they get surprisingly few pests so this is a good tree if you want something you can plant and then forget about. It also doesn't need to be pruned but it doesn't mind if you do prune it.

I took some seeds home with me to my appartment in Switzerland and planted these. I didn't treat them in any special way and they did sprout (one took three years though). I now have two little plants in a pot. They are still juvenile and I have no idea if they will ever flower. For the moment they're doing just fine.

Neutral domremygirl On Aug 31, 2010, domremygirl from Lakewood, CA wrote:

I know this is a tree, but has anyone kept this plant in a container?

Negative joanne8777 On Aug 31, 2010, joanne8777 from Tracy, CA wrote:

We had an acacia tree growing in our front yard when I was growing up. Everybody we knew called it "Yellow Death" because those beautiful, fluffy flowers rained pollen that everybody was allergic to.

The pollen was highly visible and coated cars, driveway and roadway. If you are allergic to tree pollen, this is definitely NOT the tree for you!

My Pops finally had the tree removed because my sister was having problems breathing.

Neutral nogottarancho On Aug 31, 2010, nogottarancho from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

what I would like to know is how does the plant spread itself, in the wild, naturally, if the seeds need boiling water to germinate?

Positive limylady On Aug 30, 2010, limylady from Crescent, OK wrote:

These "Trees" grow in California in the mountains around Placerville and even higher - when they are in bloom they have the most wonderful aroma - but - they are supposed to be very bad for allergies - I do miss them so - wish we could grow them here in Oklahoma zone 6-7 depending on North or South OK.

Neutral htop On Feb 3, 2005, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. This plant is native to Southeastern Australia (South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales). It is Australia's floral emblem. The seeds must be soaked in hot water before planting.

Neutral smiln32 On Aug 29, 2004, smiln32 from Oklahoma City, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

A good plant for seaside conditions. Frost and drought resistant. Use as a screen or windbreak; often seen as freeway plantings.

Positive kennedyh On Sep 27, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

The Golden Wattle is the floral emblem of Australia. It grows in Victoria, South Australia and southern New South Wales in open forests, usually on sandy soils. It has become naturalised in two other states and also in South Africa, where it has become a problem weed. It has broad, rich green phyllodes and is an absolute picture in early spring, when covered in golden yellow flowers. I have two plants in my garden, both now 4 metre tall trees and continuing to flower beautifully every year.
Like most Australian wattles, it is easy to grow from seed, provided the seed is first treated by pouring boiling water on it to crack the hard outer coat.

Tracy, California