Ambarella, Otaheite Apple, Golden Apple, Wi-Tree, Jewish Plum, Wi-Apple
Spondias dulcis

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Spondias (SPON-dee-as) (Info)
Species: dulcis (DUL-sis) (Info)
Synonym:Spondias cytherea

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Inconspicuous/none

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Dunnellon, Florida

Loxahatchee, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida (2 reports)

Orlando, Florida

Christiansted, Virgin Islands

negative

On Jul 17, 2008, 33 from Foster, RI wrote:

To the Dave's Garden community,

I have a 3 year old Spondias dulcis and it is producing new growth constantly, BUT! the new growth keeps at an immature state, and the new shoots never get past an inch and a half in size. They stay a light green turn yellow then fall off as new immature growth is being produced all over the plant. It has never fruited in the 3 years that I have had it and I am wondering if there is anything I am doing wrong, as our plants are trying to survive us, their owners.

I have it in a 5" pot, it is 3 feet tall, roots not quite filling the put just yet, they look healthy. I let the soil become visually dry before rewatering, and feed bi-monthly.

I have seen mature "correct" June Plums and know they are supp... read more

On May 29, 2006, nancyanne from Lafayette, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

My tree set fruit in a pot at about 3 years/4 ft. height. It will allegedly bloom and fruit itself to death - I find that this is true. Masses of flowers produce large bunches of fruit; as they grow, the branches are practically pulled off of the tree.
I find the fruit more enjoyable when slightly green, tart and hard. The ripe fruit has a slightly resinous aftertaste.
A very rewarding potted small tree. I will try a few seedlings planted in-ground when they are large enough, and report my findings for my zone 9a.

On Sep 30, 2003, Thaumaturgist from Rockledge, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

The first outsider to see and record the existence of Ambarella was Joseph Banks and his party in the Society Islands in the summer of 1769.
The Society Islands are believed to be the origin of the
Ambarella.

On Sep 28, 2003, IslandJim from Keizer, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

The two pictures I have posted are of the dwarf ambarella. I understand the non-dwarf of this mango relative can get quite large [as can the mango], but the largest dwarf I've seen is about 4-1/2 feet tall by about the same in width.

I prefer the fruit ripe; a friend likes it green--"tart and crisp like an apple," he says. When ripe, ambarella are sweet with a hint of pineapple. And it does produce a lot of fruit.

Like the mango, unfortunately, it has the same sort of intractable pit. If someone could breed a freestone mango or ambarella they would become rich beyond measure. Especially a freestone mango; that would be big-time bingo!

Ambarellas lose their leaves in a zone 10a Florida winter but quickly recoup in spring.