PlantFiles: Mother of Thousands, Mexican Hat Plant
Kalanchoe daigremontiana

Family: Crassulaceae (krass-yoo-LAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Kalanchoe (kal-un-KOH-ee) (Info)
Species: daigremontiana (day-ee-gree-mon-tee-AH-nuh) (Info)

Synonym:Bryophyllum daigremontianum

From leaf cuttings
By simple layering
Plant is viviparous
From bulbils

Wear gloves to protect hands when handling seeds
Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

By tiredwabbit

Thumbnail #6 of Kalanchoe daigremontiana by ideboda

By Dinu
Thumbnail #7 of Kalanchoe daigremontiana by Dinu

Positive Phellos On Sep 7, 2013, Phellos from Port Vincent, LA wrote:

This plant looks incredibly exotic. It can tolerate moisture levels from that of regular garden soil to that of a pile of rocks. It does not, however, tolerate standing water or mud (which is fortunate in my case). I put one of these in my rock garden. I had no idea how HUGE it would get, or how fast it would spread. It coats my rock garden in little red sprouts every year. The good news is that they are easy to pull out and can easily be replanted elsewhere. They don't spread past the rock garden on their own due to the thick bahia grass overtaking my yard (a grass that I really don't like).

The winter here usually kills small sprouts, but larger plants are generally untouched, other than occasional leaf burn. These plants are hardy, and any spot that is too hot or dry for many other plants, even santolina and bulbine, can easily support one of these. I even have one growing in a pot on my roof!

Positive mfreemond On Aug 13, 2013, mfreemond from Los Angeles, CA wrote:

I love this plant and have several varieties. Recently mine started turning yellow and curling up. I moved it into the shade because it seemed to be burning but I also slowed down my watering schedule. I tend to over-water. How much water does this thing really want? Why did it turn yellow? Too much water or too much sun?

Neutral Apostle3 On Feb 5, 2013, Apostle3 from Kitchener

It's not invasive in my climate, here in Canada. As for those who are trying to get rid of it: I discovered by accident Calcium gluconate, seems to be very toxic to it. I collected some left over nutrients from the pharmacy I work for, mostly interested in the KPO4, but there was a little bit of calcium left, so I thought I'd precipitate out some Cal Phos.
Curiosity got the best of me, so I "tested" straight Cal Gluc (just a few mL) on each of my indoor over winter, window plants. Everyone seemed to be either indifferent, or a bit unimpressed, but the MOT wilted by the next morning.

Positive Romino On Dec 17, 2012, Romino from Sinabelkirchen
Austria wrote:

For years I have been searching on internet to find the name of this flower. I've been suffering from sinusitis for couples of years and an old woman gave this flowers, actually, she gave me just four plantlets that grows at the edge of the flower. These plantlets I had to put into my nose so that the mucus could flow. This plant was so effective but I didn't have enough because in Europe (Austria) the weather it's not propitious for it. Well, after years I had enough of it and I made a tincture (I didn't know that is toxic). This tincture I did spray it into my nose. At that time one of my sinus was cured forever and...the right one it didn't let be cured. Why? Something hard was trying to come out from my nose but it stopped and I didn't have tincture anymore to continue spraying into my nose. Now I want to grow other plants, more than last year, but it's very hard to grow here. It's cold, it's winter and even in summer, when it rains and it's cloudy doesn't grow so much. So, I tried many plants, even garlic, onion and so on... Nothing was so effective like this plant. And...by the way...I didn't swallow parts of it and I'm alive. Tears came in my eyes when, after 7 years I found its name. If somebody could help me growing such a plant and making a tincture for me I would be glad and very very thankful.

P.S. That old lady that gave me those plantlets got cured of frontal sinusitis within 2 weeks after 32 years of sufferings.

God bless you all!

Negative Mydnight On Apr 30, 2012, Mydnight from Bradenton, FL wrote:

This is an awful little plant!! I just moved into a home where this ugly thing has been the resident plant in the yard and garden and it has not been a pleasant experience. I immediately ripped up every single one I could see in the garden, but every time I turn my head I spot more and more. Some of the new ones are so tiny they are hard to see (except for the fact that they are clustered together). It's been a bit over a week and I'm still seeing them and still ripping them up. The first day weeding, I filled an entire trash bin in about 5 minutes! And I just filled up another bin to the top when clearing out another area in the yard - this plant is truly an invasive nightmare! I thought it was two different types of weeds that I've been pulling up this whole time, but I found out that the same thing that produces the long scraggly stick with flowers is the same toothy-leaved menace in my yard! The small ones even grow in the cracks of my pavers. BEWARE! If you want this thing, keep it potted indoors unless you want your entire yard completely taken over.

Negative adam1983tt On Feb 3, 2012, adam1983tt from Eagle Lake, FL wrote:

A clipping of this plant was given to me by a neighbor about two years ago. I was attracted to its height, its bright red teardrop flowers and its unique ability to be "trained." I was able to make it grow into a spiral by replacing an adjustable table over it every couple of days. A very handsome plant. However, IT IS VERY INVASIVE!! In only a few days, it had spread hundreds, maybe thousands of tiny sprouts across my side yard, completely taking over the area. It took many hours, over a few weeks, of pulling each and every one of those sprouts up to clear the ground of the invasion. I still want to possibly grow one or two in a planter for a decorative accent on my porch, but I am so afraid of it spreading again. I am not positive of this, but I would assume because of its invasive nature, it would be outlawed or regulated. (It should be, anyway).

In short... Be wary of this plant! It grows aggressively and can grow in any direction to find a light source. I've found them underneath a picnic table and they were literally growing sideways to find the sunlight. Mowing over them only spreads them faster. If you find yourself overwhelmed with them, expect to be on your hands and knees pulling them up!

Negative Annie_7 On Sep 23, 2011, Annie_7 from North York, PA wrote:

My father bought one of these for me at an auction many years ago. It never got any babies. But it died. I was so upset. I loved that plant. But the leaves on it were skinny and small. I recently got one from a woman at a market. The leaves are large and it is so full of babies. I am so anxious to get new plants. However, the leaves are beginning to look a little yellow. I have it planted in cactus soil with a stone on the bottom of the pot and sitting under a table lamp. Am I doing something wrong. I only water it lightly once a month.

Positive adry_ral On Aug 11, 2011, adry_ral from brasov
Romania wrote:

I use this plant as a medicine for skin wounds, callosities, etc. It takes everything out. It's absolutely wonderful!

Negative nel5397 On Jul 1, 2011, nel5397 from Groveland, FL wrote:

this plant is highly invasive. the only thing that gets rid of it is a herbicide that contains 2,4D or a very prolonged freeze.

Neutral sambadelicmail On Oct 31, 2010, sambadelicmail from Easthampton, MA wrote:

I just bought a potted plant that fits the description of this one, but mine has long, bare stem sections in between folded leaves that almost look like a Venus Fly Trap. I've never seen a plant like this anywhere in my area (Western Massachusetts) the person I got it from only knew the name - so I've found my way here. The babies grow out of the serrated edges of the leaves on mine, not the plant's stem. The one I have is about 3 feet tall and seems almost too fragile to stand itself up. Does anyone know if I can prune it back and encourage it to branch into a more bushy shape? One comment above said a plant had been broken off and it split, so I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the type I describe. Also - I have read that this plant is poisonous to livestock - but is it also toxic to humans and/or cats? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

Negative nekochanninja On Apr 25, 2010, nekochanninja from Oldsmar, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

where i live in central florida, invasive is an understatement. when i moved into my house over six years ago there was a ton of this guy in my yard... and he's still there. no matter how hard i try, i just can't seem to get rid if it. if you miss just one tiny bulblett, which fall off oh so easy when touched, will just start the cycle again in a few weeks. needless to say, if anyone wants any, let me know! :-)

Neutral stanglx On Apr 5, 2010, stanglx from Plymouth, WI wrote:

Hey have question I've had this plant since Nov. 09 and its now April 10. the thing that I'm worried about is that its only grown to about an inch in that time. i got this plant off its mother plant. When i took it off it was about 3mm across. Is this normal? Another question is it has grown a root like thing growing over one of the bottom leaves. It is also leaning to one side. is this a problem.

Positive ejennings On Feb 3, 2010, ejennings from San Angelo, TX (Zone 7b) wrote:

I bought this plant for $1.00 at a farmer's market in October 2009. As of Feb. 2010, it has grown almost 8". I have it inside. It's such a funny looking plant that it's neat. I like it b/c it makes me feel like I have a green thumb:)

Negative plantladylin On Dec 10, 2009, plantladylin from South Daytona, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Interesting plant and very attractive, but very invasive in some areas.

Neutral mka7777 On Mar 2, 2009, mka7777 from Laguna Niguel, CA wrote:

This has to be one of the weirdest plants I have ever encountered. A friend of ours gave us a baby one in Florida almost 9 years ago, and it is still thriving. We moved to Southern, CA and at one point I lost count of how many we actually had. My mother in law says it is very ugly, EXCEPT for the flowers. The one we have right now, a little girl broke it off and at the broken sport, it shot up 2 stalks in it's place. It is now well over 6 feet tall, and has new growth coming in along with more flowers. Due to it's height, we have it tied to our swing here on the porch. It IS very evasive, and the babies have tried to take over the pots of others, but we finally eradicated them, so it is now contained.
The babies are VERY healthy and the sprout really easily, so you hve to watch where they land. I like this plant since you really cannot kill it, no matter what you do to it, but we dislike it due to the babies and how many there are.
God luck to anyone who has one!

Positive wandygirl On Nov 7, 2008, wandygirl from Brookfield, CT wrote:

Kalanchoe daigremontiana is not hardy in my area so I don't have to worry about it taking over outdoor areas where it is not wanted. The indoor or potted garden is another story. Those babies are tenacious little buggers. I've learned to zip the plantlets off the leaves before they have a chance to get lange enough to fall off on their own. The ones that manage to root are easy enough to pull up. This plant is great for making living wreaths. A good size living wreath requires A LOT of cuttings. This plant is a virtual cutting factory.

Neutral bsgardens On Jun 8, 2008, bsgardens from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have this plant. I love it alot. I've had neighbors steal the babies out of my yard!! Its a great plant for where I live do to the droughts during the summer. Also in the summer there are usually water restrictions. Makes watering alot easier. The only thing I don't like ... is that none of mine have ever flowered. I have one that is 3 1/2 foot tall and several years old. No flowers yet :(

Neutral dwheeler On Dec 29, 2007, dwheeler from Baltimore, MD wrote:

Seeing these postings brings back fond memories. My college botany professor brought some "leaflets" in to share with the class. I wrapped a few in a damp paper towel, put it in my coat pocket and forgot about it--for a week. I was terribly dissapointed when I found them, all dried up, hard and shrivelly, but I said a prayer and put them in a pot of dirt. Those amazing little things started growing!

I had a very tall mother plant for years and must have thrown away MILLIONS of babies. I loved that plant because it was so very forgiving (I forgot to water it more often than I remembered). I can understand how it could be quite obnoxious in the outdoors--the babies I threw away are probably taking over a land-fill somewhere! But I will always have a soft spot in my heart for that gangly, alien-looking plant.

I plan to give some to my young nieces to let them learn about plants. Lord knows they'll have success--I don't think anyone could kill it!

Positive BayAreaTropics On Oct 18, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

In the bay area, a mild mannered plant. Colorful flowers. Mine went through the 07 freeze just fine. That's the S.F. bay area-not warm enough to let any tropical plant get out of hand,just warm enough to grow them...

Positive bhaugh On Oct 18, 2007, bhaugh from Norfolk, VA wrote:

makes a great indoor plant. not sure if it would survive outside in south east Virginia. had one years ago, got lost in the move, looking for more!!!

Neutral Seacow On Sep 21, 2007, Seacow from Harbin
China wrote:

I've had this plant on various occasions, from Miami to Texas. But I've opted not to grow this plant as when it gets old it becomes very unsightly and looms over. It's name definitely suites it, for it will quickly fill up the pots of plants around it with it's own offspring. To me it's more of a large weed than a plant. However this is an easy plant to grow and is quite hardy, although not to cold temperatures. This wouldn't be a bad choice for first timers, it endures a lot.

Positive Opoetree On Jul 19, 2007, Opoetree from Oak View, CA wrote:

I have had this plant for over 20 years -- but, have always kept it in a pot...so, it has not invaded other territories or created some of the negativity mentioned. My mother brought some of the 'children' home in a wet towel from Washington state were my brother was living and we 'planted' them in California. It has been an extremely sturdy plant...surviving droughts and freezes with no problem. Guess you just have to keep this one contained and you're ok. (My brother's family called this plant a 'piggy-back' plant.)

Neutral ManicReality On Apr 19, 2007, ManicReality from Houston, TX (Zone 10a) wrote:

These plants are interesting little boogars. I first noticed them at my fathers house, growing out of the concrete. We were mind boggled that a plant could grow out of concrete in Houston in the summer (mostly in late 90's and early 100's F) without any water. Then we saw more and more of them, I was worried they'd take over, his thoughts were so what, they are pretty and you don't have to water them at all or for that matter give them any dirt. So I brought one home, it seems to be ok, it has had only one baby in 6 months. His however, have taken over a 6x6 space (on concrete no less) and have the prettiest little red bell shaped flowers and leopard print spots. *I put mine in the shade by my boggy plants .... knowing its a succulant and its in the water, i'm hoping it's less likely to get rampant. Its also near passionflowers, venus flytraps,snow peas so its likely to get choked out by them anyway...This will be an interesting show to watch

Negative sugarweed On Aug 6, 2006, sugarweed from Jacksonville & Okeechobee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

The best thing about the freeze of 2002 that burst my pipes on the back porch is that it killed this plant. It had taken over 3 gardens in this neighborhood. It is a thug!
It was worth the $100 Plumbers bill just to be rid of that beast.
Seeing a thread about it reminded me IT WAS GONE!

Positive WUVIE On Mar 22, 2006, WUVIE from Hulbert, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

Having recently learned the botanical term for this unique plant, I can't help but to love it.

Given as a small plant in a Dixie cup, I kept it in the greenhouse not knowing what it would do. I began actually paying attention to it, watering it, giving it decent soil instead of dirt and was soon rewarded with a tall and very healthy albeit strange thing growing
in a pot.

Perhaps well known to others but newfound to me, a simple snapping off of a leaf placed in the soil will soon create another plant. And another. And another. A fun conversation piece which makes a good choice for a new gardener with brown thumbs.

Don't want babies? Pluck them out and toss them into the trash. Or share. :-)

Positive frogbuttefly On Nov 27, 2005, frogbuttefly from East Wenatchee, WA (Zone 5b) wrote:

An interesting plant to say the least. I've had them up to 4 ft tall before they got top heavy. They seem to grow stronger outdoors in the shade and yes the "babies" will invade where ever soil is to be found in which case one treats it like a weed and pull it out of its unwanted location. Its one of those fun, see what I have, plants where either you like it or hate it.

Neutral Kameha On Apr 24, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

There are hundreds of these plants growing in my backyard...I found them when I moved here. I had no idea what they were until I researched farther. They are very invasive in Central and Southern Florida. I dug up one and took it inside and this might be a gentler method rather than wiping out all the outdoor ones. They are very beautiful and at first I thought it was some type of aloe.

Positive gemini0620 On Apr 6, 2005, gemini0620 from Pflugerville, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

i have two varieties of this succulent,we call it mother of millions,but still the same plant.very prolific,buetiful blooms.

Neutral suncatcheracres On Apr 4, 2005, suncatcheracres from Old Town, FL wrote:

Our local post office here in Old Town, Florida, in Northcentral Florida, USDA zone 8b, was renovating their plantings around the building and ripping out several square yards of this plant, so I asked if I could take a few of the plants that they were discarding, and they said yes. At the post office it had a very sunny Western exposure, against a dark brick wall, and flourished there--probably too well, as they were ripping it out!

Here under shady ancient oak trees, on our six acres of virgin woods, the plants have lived and propagaged for about three years, but have never flowered, and have been frozen back every year, with just a few plants surviving each Spring. Each Summer some of the plants get to about four feet tall and flop over, but are still attractive, and they are a quick way to fill an empty garden space.

But I knew that they were some type of Kalanchoe, so, hoping to get some flowers, last fall I planted up a few small plants into a pot and overwintered them in a makeshift greenhouse. They didn't flower this year and are now, in April 2005, about two feet tall, so I'm going to leave them in the pot over the Summer and see if I can get them to bloom in a greenhouse next Winter.

I never knew what this plant was until today--thanks to everyone for their comments. Although it does spread in the Summer here in USDA zone 8b, I think that it is safe to plant in areas that are prone to frost, as frost does kill it back.

Negative Herbynoel On Jan 11, 2005, Herbynoel from Brisbane
Australia wrote:

WARNING!!!
This plant is an extreemly invasive species.
I know I live in Australia and not in the US, and climatic conditions can inhibit certain weed species,but be VERY careful in placement of this plant.
In this country the "Mother of millions" as we know it has displaced many native species of grasses and ground cover leading to many native animals being starved of their natural food sources and living enviroments.
It is also highly toxic to grazing animals, and is virtualy impossible to remove once found in a paddock (or meadow).
Each tiny particle will develope into another parent plant.
Sounds like a "triffid" in some ways dosn't it?
The Dept of Primary Industries in this country has been trying to eradicate it for the last twenty years or so without any strong success.
It has now been officially declared as a first class noxious weed, and major steps are being taken in its removal from not only the mainlaind areas, but now also from many island situations.
So as you can see, not even salt water can effect its growth.
The photograph I have sent,(however pretty it may seem), was taken by me last May (Late Autumn) on Stradbroke Island. A full 50 minute ferry ride from the mainland.
Although a very pretty flower, it dosn't warrant any place in a garden situation.
DO NOT PLACE THIS PLANT IN ANY COMPOST RECEPTICLE. As this is how it was thought to be originally spread.

Sorry to dissapoint all you great gardeners out there.
Noel.

Positive crimsontsavo On Jan 10, 2005, crimsontsavo from Crossville, TN (Zone 7a) wrote:

We love this plant. It is in full bloom right now with light pink and lavender flowers. With winter coming on I moved it into my bedroom directly in my north-west picture window.
She loves it there and her blooms have lasted for well over a week- with no signs of drooping/dropping off.

When in the garden I have M.O.M planted in pretty rich soil and frequent waterings. We have well drained soil, so no rot thus far.

Be warned it can be invasive so you probably should'nt have it planted directly in the ground- unless you keep a close watch on it. The babies do literally "pop" off the mother plant when brushed. This is an amazing plant that kids might enjoy growing for a science project.
All in all- definately worth growing at least once.

Positive hoosierfarmboy On Sep 27, 2004, hoosierfarmboy from Franklinton, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I am an Instructor of Horticulture at Oakland City University, Branchville campus, Tell City, Indiana. This plant grows in our greenhouse (we are in Zone 6) and blooms in February; that is, during the photoperiod of shortening hours of darkness (the greenhouse lights are turned off from sunset to 9:30 am, EST).

Positive joe111999 On Sep 23, 2004, joe111999 from Birmingham
United Kingdom wrote:

From Birmingham England

I purcased 20 plantlets off ebay a few mounths ago and now have hundreds of them ,the plants are very nice and im glad to hear that they flower eventually.

Negative Scarlete On Jul 25, 2004, Scarlete from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Far too invasive. Babies pop off and will grow just about anywhere. If you have potted plants nearby, they'll pop off and grow in there. It's very easy to grow, and interesting to look at, but it was also hard to get rid of.

Neutral greenlarry On Jul 21, 2004, greenlarry from Darlington
United Kingdom wrote:

A very interestnig plant but can be invasive and awkward. Not an ideal houseplant, it needs staking and takes a while to flower. The little plantlets formed on the edges of the leaves get everywhere, and often end up rooting in other plant pots!

Neutral foodiesleuth On Apr 24, 2004, foodiesleuth from Honomu, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

I like the plant even though it is very invasive in our area. It can propagate from just one leaf left on the ground. I too remember it as growing and living pinned to a curtain at someone's house when I was a child living in Cuba. I was amazed as I had never seen a plant do that. The spike blooms are like little bells on a stem.

Positive sloanpro On Mar 19, 2004, sloanpro from Philadelphia, PA wrote:

I love this plant. I was given babies last spring and I planted them outside in Philadelphia on a rooftop deck using regular potting soil. Watered them regularly and within a few months I had 30 healthy plants of various sizes. Two plants matured and produced flowers at a height of 5 feet.

Positive rob_rob On Mar 18, 2004, rob_rob wrote:

I just got this plant, i think it's quite beautiful...

I've had it about two weeks, its been in the brightest spot I've got (but with no direct light, as its heading into winter, and there's nowhere in the house that gets much direct light.)

Positive hope43 On Feb 28, 2004, hope43 from Tulsa, OK (Zone 7a) wrote:

i got this plant yrs. ago from sister in law in Georgia they call it pregnant plant.. mine grew to about 4ft. and bloomed white!! told her she had them for yrs. never saw one bloom.. i lost it after that... now i have some startingagain.. in texas by the border they are blooming red in yards now in laredo ,so beautiful unique looking..

Positive wnstarr On Dec 22, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

Edgewood, Washington
This is one of the plants that brings back wonderful memories of my childhood. I can remember a Great Aunt that always had one leaf pinned to her kitchen window curtain. I was amazed that it would be there, with no water, and then from the tips of the leaf edges would emerge the "babies". Honestly can say it never became a nuisence at her house. She was the incentive for me being facinated my whole life with horticulture. This was in Northern California over 40 years ago. Great plant to get kids interested in the wonderful world of plants all around the world. Who knows where it might lead them.

Negative palmbob On Dec 21, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

You actually don't need babies on the leaves to propogate this plant. Just take off an adult leaf and set it on potting soil in a protected warm place and WA-LA! New plant! This thing is so invasive I have not been able to get it out of my plants and it's been years since I introduced one (a single leaf set in soil like I just said) into my greenhouse. Now they pop up in nearly every potted plant even though I don't have a greenhouse anymore. Every ounce of plant has to be removed- stems, leaves, babies etc. or you will own one of these (or thousands) forever. It reproduces like mad, from offsets, any part of stem, root or leaf that touches the soil, seeds... but most interesting and unique is its ability to make thousands of bulbils, or little plantlets off each leaf AND/OR off spent flowers- a large crop of dead flowers can start to grow hundreds of new plants that, as they get large enough, will just fall to the ground and root... this plant is scary!

Positive moki123 On Dec 21, 2003, moki123 from Sanford, FL wrote:

I have a number of these plants now growing in my yard. When they bloom they have the pink-purple flowers.We live in the Central Flordia area and have had them growing wild in our yard for years and have enjoyed them and they have done well.

This plant prefers alot of sun to bloom and tolerates temperatures of 90 degrees. This a tropical plant and does well with little or no watering.

Positive Maudie On Jun 4, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

My plant was blooming last winter when temperatures dipped into the teens. It was on an enclosed porch with no heat but hopefully some of the "babies" survived.

The blooms are beautiful to behold and worth the growing if only just for fun!

Positive princessfiona76 On Jun 3, 2003, princessfiona76 wrote:

I also remember having this plant when I was a kid. I love them, and I remember I liked to ckeck and see how many babies there were growing beneath the 'mum'.

Positive vcomar On Apr 2, 2003, vcomar wrote:

I love this plant. I bought one last spring and by the end of summer had over thirty plants. I currently have only one, but hope with summer coming will have a lot more.

Positive snapper122502 On Mar 18, 2003, snapper122502 from ocean springs, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have been growing the Mother of Millions (aka "Mother of Thousands") for several years now and have mixed feelings about them.

I started with one plant and now have hundreds - very invasive but the plant makes up for that in the flowers that bloom here in southern Mississippi (U.S.) from December thru March.

I treat them as I would a succulent, and fertilize lightly once a month; my adults have reached a height of 4 to 5 feet. Rapid growers, they multiply like crazy and NEED to be separated from your other house plants.

Beautiful bell-shaped, pinkish-red blossoms are the crowning glory to this strangely loathed and loved plant. As the blooms die off, the plant does tend to fall over but will root easily. It's nice to experience this plant at least once to know the mixed feelings - it will be worth it!

Positive bsbaldwin2002 On Feb 14, 2003, bsbaldwin2002 wrote:

I received this plant from my mother in June 2002; she called it a "pregnant plant." I did some research, and found it here at the Plants Database.

when I got mine, it was only about one foot tall; it has bloomed twice and is now it nearly 5 feet tall. I have given three cuttings from it to my friends, and I have "babies" started in almost all my other plants!

Positive alexx On Feb 5, 2003, alexx wrote:

I love this plant! It has no flowers because it reproduces asexually by budding new plats at the points of its serrated leaves. The Leaves are green and waxy and the underside of most mature leaves have a tiger-ish pattern.

I have never been able to overwater this plant, and if it is in poor soil it will just grow slower. It likes warmth (Mediterranean summer) and for the soil to be just damp to the touch.

I have kept these for over twelve years, and have them at home and in the office.

The slugs in my garden love them ;-( so I keep them in pots inside. While at University I ran experiments on them for ranges of soil fertility and watering levels. This only seemed to change the rate of growth, (they seemed happy with hydroponics environments.) I do not know about temperature ranges, other than they like being in my house.

Positive ADKSpirit On Feb 4, 2003, ADKSpirit from Lake Placid, NY (Zone 4a) wrote:

It's the first week in February, after a hard cold snap here in northern Florida. The temps sank to below 18 degrees. What a surprise to find my Mother of Thousands survived the cold even though it was left unblanketed, only to have lost a couple of hardier plants. Even more surprising, the plant is just about ready to bloom with many little almost salmon pink, tube-like flowers at the top of the almost foot and a half tall stalk. Will try to get a picture when it fully blooms.

Positive Jorgesevilla On Jan 2, 2003, Jorgesevilla wrote:

I love this plant, I have already ten plants, and 4 are now beginning to bloom, here in Seville, Spain. Maybe the warn December we got (only two days below 5C) is a reason for that.. It is true that this plant is very invasive but at the same time is a beautiful one.

Positive Chopsticks On Dec 21, 2002, Chopsticks wrote:

This plant is very beautiful. During the summer months the plants propagates by budding, making it very invasive. However, it can be control very easily. "Mother of Thousands" does not cause damage to other plants near them. They are very easy to take care of during the warm months of the year. In the fall they should be taken inside.

It is important to supply plenty of supplemental light; they do not do well unless they have proper lighting. A simple fluorescent light with a wide light spectrum will do. They require at least 10 hours of light per day to do well.

Negative ohmysweetpjs On Oct 16, 2002, ohmysweetpjs from Brookeville, MD wrote:

I love plants and I feel bad saying this, but this plant is very invasive and not very attractive, in my opinion.

Positive Dikie1 On Jul 15, 2002, Dikie1 wrote:

I have several (at the moment!) growing indoors, and they seem adaptable to most conditions. Will take various amounts of watering, from none for a week or two to plenty dampness.

I have read that they take about two years to mature and flower,and plant dies after blooming. However one of mine reached 80cm, flowered and then did not die, but appeared to become top heavy and lean over till the very top was ground level. On providing the top with a pot of soil it rooted easily. Now I've got an arched plant, rooted at both ends and growing from everywhere! The plant originates in Mount Androhibolava, southwestern Madagascar.

Grenoble,
Thousand Oaks, California
Yorba Linda, California
Boca Raton, Florida
Bonita Springs, Florida
Bradenton, Florida (2 reports)
Brooksville, Florida
Daytona Beach, Florida
Eagle Lake, Florida
Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)
Fountain, Florida
Punta Gorda, Florida
Saint Augustine, Florida
Sarasota, Florida
Sebring, Florida
Tampa, Florida (3 reports)
Venice, Florida
West Palm Beach, Florida
Columbus, Georgia
Honomu, Hawaii
Denham Springs, Louisiana (2 reports)
Geismar, Louisiana
Greeneville, Tennessee
Brazoria, Texas
Cibolo, Texas
Deer Park, Texas
Dickinson, Texas (2 reports)
El Paso, Texas
Grand Prairie, Texas
Kempner, Texas
Liberty Hill, Texas
Mcallen, Texas
Paige, Texas
Pflugerville, Texas
San Angelo, Texas
San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)
San Marcos, Texas