Hairy Toad Lily 'Variegata'

Tricyrtis hirta

Family: Liliaceae (lil-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tricyrtis (try-SER-tis) (Info)
Species: hirta (HER-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Variegata

Warrensville, North Carolina

Lexington, Virginia

Charleston, West Virginia

On Apr 3, 2011, RosemaryK from Lexington, MA (Zone 6a) wrote:

This plant hangs around all summer looking like an odd fern cousin but by mid-September, it is the main show just as the ferns are starting to wilt. It's as thrilling as if it were an orchid growing in zone 6. I planted it a few years ago in a well drained and shady spot beneath the deciduous magnolia, and at eye level for anyone who walks by. It is absolutely maintenance free unless you count cutting off the old stalks in late winter.

On Oct 26, 2010, ms_greenjeans from Hopkins, MN (Zone 4a) wrote:

I'm just fascinated with toad lilies in general. This is the third variety I have planted. It seems to bloom the latest -- starting mid-September -- but it is now mid-October in Minnesota after several frosts, and it's still going strong. This variety also seems to have slightly larger flowers than the others and a more arched growth habit.

On Oct 16, 2010, Rubberplant from Stratford, CT wrote:

I planted these for the first time last spring and was absolutely delighted with the show they put on come September. They were planted under a large white pine in an area that is dark and damp. The soil is almost pure sifted compost. They were a welcome splash of color as the rest of the garden faded.

On Apr 27, 2009, noland from Decatur, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I've just introduced this plant to an area under a large shaded cherry tree behind a dwarf camellia... Looking for information as to how wide of an area it will extend to once established. How much sun can it tolorate?

On Oct 5, 2004, henryr10 from Cincinnati, OH (Zone 6b) wrote:

I have 4 Toads of the streaked or variegated variety,
'Gilt Edge', 'Lightning Strike', T. hirta 'V' and a hybrid 'V' .

All four take hits like you won't believe.
Slugs love them.
Especially 'LS'.
It was reduced from four 10" full leaved stems to a single leaf in one night.

My other 10 Toads rarely get munched at all.

I've moved the Slug magnets to pots and all are thriving after two years. (LS just this year)
Not a mark on them, great blooms and setting seed.

If you're having critter problems pot'em up.

On Oct 2, 2004, CaptMicha from Brookeville, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This plant preforms beautifully. It requires no care as long as it's growing in the right conditions. It looks like it is prone to insect damage as some of my plants leaves have been chomped on.

I can't wait to see how this plant preforms next year when it's better established.

On Oct 2, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

I grew this lovely plant from seeds but did not understand its water needs, and so lost the seedlings fairly early on. I will try it again because not only have I learned a great deal about horticulture since then, I have moved to a place with better dirt! This is a very archetectural perennial, and the flowers are intricate and beautifully displayed. Anyone with moist shade to fill should try it. My reference book says it's hardy only from zones 7-9, but I'm in 9b which occasionally masquerades as 10a. These may not get the cold they want this far south (west central Florida).

On Oct 1, 2003, weeding from Peachtree City, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Midgreen leaves edged in white. Grows to approx. 2 feet. Beautiful white flowers spotted with purple. A very reliable shade plant.