Stromanthe
Stromanthe sanguinea 'Tricolor'

Family: Marantaceae
Genus: Stromanthe (stroh-MAN-thee) (Info)
Species: sanguinea (san-GWIN-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Tricolor

Dade City, Florida

Fort Myers, Florida

Fort Pierce, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)

Jupiter, Florida

Key West, Florida

Lake Worth, Florida

Lecanto, Florida

Melbourne Beach, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

Miccosukee Cpo, Florida

New Port Richey, Florida (2 reports)

Newberry, Florida

Ocala, Florida

Oldsmar, Florida

Orlando, Florida (2 reports)

Palm Coast, Florida

Port Charlotte, Florida

Port Saint Lucie, Florida

Saint Cloud, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)

Seffner, Florida

Seminole, Florida

Sumterville, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Titusville, Florida

Valrico, Florida (2 reports)

Venice, Florida

Wellborn, Florida

Winter Springs, Florida

Thomasville, Georgia

Kurtistown, Hawaii

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Covington, Louisiana

Geismar, Louisiana

Gonzales, Louisiana

Lake Charles, Louisiana (2 reports)

New Orleans, Louisiana

Mont Belvieu, Texas

Port Arthur, Texas

On Sep 19, 2014, kickapookim from Orlando, FL wrote:

**Orlando, FL (Zone 9b)**
My screened in back patio has a small area where there is no concrete and just dirt to plant plants (cool concept). When I bought the house there were no plants planted in the area so two months ago I decided to go plant shopping. I worked with a local landscape company and let them know I needed a plant that liked mostly shade, filtered sunlight and something cat friendly. My local landscape folks suggested the stromanthe. When the plants arrived I noticed one plant has some light coffee colored looking leaves (was told it was from bugs but it is actually from too much direct sunlight) however I was not too worried because it was only a few leaves on one plant. The stromanthe has done great except one plant which was determined did not take root ( it is co... read more

On Sep 13, 2014, southeastgarden from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have grown outdoors this plant for ten years in the northern part of zone 9a. It dies to the ground most winters but has survived several winters with nights that dipped to about 18 degrees. I suspect that it will die if the ground ever freezes. It is not terribly drought tolerant, though.

On Jun 16, 2013, lkopas from Houston, TX wrote:

I have this plant in the shade on my patio in a bed. I can't seem to keep the leaves from turning brown, drying out and curling -- Anyone have any ideas?

On Nov 13, 2012, ratlover1 from Rising Sun, IN wrote:

Gorgeous houseplant, seems to like bright light and tolerates morning sun. Likes to stay moist but not wet, I agree with 'do not let dry out between waterings'. Seems to prefer a moderate to high level of humidity.
Related to the 'prayer plant' and does close its leaves at night. I love seeing the lovely rosy pink undersides of the leaves as they point straight up to the ceiling!

On Feb 7, 2011, Lylith from Brecksville, OH wrote:

I had to call ASPCA Poison control because my 6 lb. Chihuahua ingested some dried blossom parts along with the outer leaf covers of the blossoms. I had a hard time finding any information regarding possible toxicity of this plant. They said worst case scenario was an upset stomach and possible vomiting. She had neither. I thought this info might be helpful to someone since I had such a hard time finding it.

On Jan 7, 2011, hortims from Sacramento, CA wrote:

This is one of my all time favorite foliage plants. I bought it in a one gal container and moved into a 10 in azalea pot and it just keeps getting wider so really easy to divide and grow. I keep it in a high shade area outside here in Sacramento and accidently left it out when we had nights in the mid thirties and no damage. The foliage contrast is remarkable.

On Sep 28, 2010, roycer from Tulsa, OK wrote:

Hey! Suppose the Tulsa area would support this plant (outdoors)? I want one (dozen)!

On Sep 21, 2010, ptooming from Titusville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is an amazing plant, will tolerate being cold bitten to the ground like during our freak week long below 30 temps here in Florida and jump back when it gets consistantly 60. Loves the heat as well, we are consistantly in the 90s during our long dreadful summers. Likes shade or sun as long as it is adaquately watered. Anything that would like to nibble on it has to get threw the slight powdering of any cheap laundry detergent around the base it does have other lovers as well as me, myself and I...Mostly snails and those Georgia thumpers which nothing seems to bother with exception of hubbys large boot or the cat when she is energic enough.
By accident hubby mowed one clump down, it laughed and came right back up. Get one it will be happy

On Jun 5, 2010, flowers7 from Lutz, FL wrote:

I planted two of these in two containers at my front door, along with some ivy. They looked beautiful, didn't make it through the hard freeze, however, but want to buy them again. We were not home to cover them, due to an emergency.

I really like this plant, but the problems that I had with it was, snails or something similar were eating the leaves and then I would have to keep trimming them off. I use the bait that was suppose to help, but it didn't seem to, the problem persisted. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, as I do plan on buying two more today to put in the same two containers. They are in full shade, so the sun isn't damaging them.

Any help with what to put on them to stop whatever is eating holes in the leaves would be appreciated... read more

On May 22, 2010, perfectpoodles from Houston, TX wrote:

I too am in Houston, Texas and just was at Loews and saw this gorgeous plant but decieded to come home and read up on it before I bought it. Kind of confusing to see someone say shade and someone else says sun. The instructions on the plant also said full sun. It is so prfetty I am going to go back and buy a couple tomorrow.

On Mar 30, 2010, plantaholique from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I have these growing under and near my large oak trees here in zone 9b in Sarasota, FL and they are gorgeous! Easy too- I fertilize them with sustained release fertilizer 2x /year and that's it. We had a horrific winter this past year, with temps below freezing for a solid week and I was terrified I had lost them as well as many other plants. But amazingly, they came out of it with little to no damage and look better than ever now. We live in an oak and pine forest here so that provides some protection I know. These plants send out 5' tall stalks with babies on them in the summer and are the most stunning plants! Only the babies were damaged in the cold.

On Apr 1, 2009, Bettygreenthumb from Valrico, FL wrote:

I am in Valrico Florida and would like to buy 12 large ones. Where do you recommend

On Mar 21, 2009, Scogebear from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

Have this plant in my backyard under a bougainvillea, in shade and it does great. It's mid March and it's currently flowering.

On Jan 20, 2009, mtnbarbie from Friendswood, TX wrote:

I have 5 of these plants in my zone 9a/9b yard since the middle of last summer. We have had around 7 nights/mornings below freezing in the last month and I neglected to cover them; I was certain they would die. I was pleasantly surprised when nearly a week after our coldest night of the year thus far (29 deg) they were still alive and the majority of the leaves were doing fine. Only some of the leaves near the top have turned brown, and I noticed the plants that were not sheltered from the wind had more frost damage than the others. I have left the dead leaves on for now as they will help to insulate the lower leaves if the weather turns cold again.

Still, I don't plan on taking any chances with the rest of our below freezing nights (if we have any) and will make sure I cove... read more

On Jun 22, 2007, tremax from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I am in Deray Beach, Fl. zone 10A. I have had several of these plants for a year and a half with great success. They are in an area that is probably sixty per cent shade and is watered well. They are really beautiful. Also have one next to window with no sun that is doing very well.

On Sep 23, 2006, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

One of the best indoor plants around.A combination of leaf shape and color makes a visual impact. On top of that it is an excellent houseplant given bright light and moderate humidity. Even it's flowers are exotic. Do not allow to dry out.

On Feb 11, 2006, arcadon from Lake Charles, LA wrote:

Just a quick note to say that Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar' ('Tricolor') has been root hardy in zone 9a for 2 years now. This one like shade. It blooms in early spring and the flower is a beautiful red - aging to a reddish pink. Also excellent as a container plant and indoors as well.

On Jul 23, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I agree with Ms C. It is difficult to keep this plant looking as pretty as these photos. Even in humid Florida, we do have hot dry days. MN4

On Oct 2, 2003, MsCritterkeeper from The Heart of Texas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Plant must have high humidity to refrain from leaf curling.
Prefers Temp NO lower than 65F and with increased Temp must have increased humidity. Very nice around my indoor pond and as house plant.Plant apparently comes from the Tropical Americas.Can be treated the same as Prayer Plants & Peacock Plants.