PlantFiles: Stromanthe
Stromanthe sanguinea 'Tricolor'

Family: Marantaceae
Genus: Stromanthe (stroh-MAN-thee) (Info)
Species: sanguinea (san-GWIN-ee-a) (Info)
Cultivar: Tricolor
Additional cultivar information: (Triostar)

Partial to Full Shade

By sunkissed
Thumbnail #7 of Stromanthe sanguinea by sunkissed

Positive kickapookim On Sep 19, 2014, kickapookim from Orlando, FL wrote:

**Orlando, FL (Zone 9b)**
My screened in back patio has a small area where there is no concrete and just dirt to plant plants (cool concept). When I bought the house there were no plants planted in the area so two months ago I decided to go plant shopping. I worked with a local landscape company and let them know I needed a plant that liked mostly shade, filtered sunlight and something cat friendly. My local landscape folks suggested the stromanthe. When the plants arrived I noticed one plant has some light coffee colored looking leaves (was told it was from bugs but it is actually from too much direct sunlight) however I was not too worried because it was only a few leaves on one plant. The stromanthe has done great except one plant which was determined did not take root ( it is covered under warranty and will be replaced soon). This breed seems to love the shade and when the direct sunlight comes in from the setting sun my screen filters out the direct sunlight. This plant also folds up at dusk (pretty neat) and stays that way until morning. I put rubber mulch around the plants which seems to lock in the moisture in the soil. I learned if you see holes on the leaves it is from a hungry bug and not from direct sunlight. Like I mentioned earlier too much direct sunlight = light coffee colored leaves. Unfortunately I do not have gutters around my house so when it rains heavily the water from outside the screen patio comes flooding down to the ground and floods up underneath the screened in patio area. At first I was afraid the plants would die from too much water but quickly discovered once it stops raining the water goes back down into the soil and keeps it moist for the stromanthe. They don't seem to mind it.

Positive southeastgarden On Sep 13, 2014, southeastgarden from Jacksonville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I have grown outdoors this plant for ten years in the northern part of zone 9a. It dies to the ground most winters but has survived several winters with nights that dipped to about 18 degrees. I suspect that it will die if the ground ever freezes. It is not terribly drought tolerant, though.

Neutral lkopas On Jun 16, 2013, lkopas from Houston, TX wrote:

I have this plant in the shade on my patio in a bed. I can't seem to keep the leaves from turning brown, drying out and curling -- Anyone have any ideas?

Positive ratlover1 On Nov 13, 2012, ratlover1 from Rising Sun, IN wrote:

Gorgeous houseplant, seems to like bright light and tolerates morning sun. Likes to stay moist but not wet, I agree with 'do not let dry out between waterings'. Seems to prefer a moderate to high level of humidity.
Related to the 'prayer plant' and does close its leaves at night. I love seeing the lovely rosy pink undersides of the leaves as they point straight up to the ceiling!

Positive Lylith On Feb 7, 2011, Lylith from Brecksville, OH wrote:

I had to call ASPCA Poison control because my 6 lb. Chihuahua ingested some dried blossom parts along with the outer leaf covers of the blossoms. I had a hard time finding any information regarding possible toxicity of this plant. They said worst case scenario was an upset stomach and possible vomiting. She had neither. I thought this info might be helpful to someone since I had such a hard time finding it.

Positive hortims On Jan 7, 2011, hortims from Sacramento, CA wrote:

This is one of my all time favorite foliage plants. I bought it in a one gal container and moved into a 10 in azalea pot and it just keeps getting wider so really easy to divide and grow. I keep it in a high shade area outside here in Sacramento and accidently left it out when we had nights in the mid thirties and no damage. The foliage contrast is remarkable.

Neutral roycer On Sep 28, 2010, roycer from Tulsa, OK wrote:

Hey! Suppose the Tulsa area would support this plant (outdoors)? I want one (dozen)!

Positive ptooming On Sep 21, 2010, ptooming from Titusville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

This is an amazing plant, will tolerate being cold bitten to the ground like during our freak week long below 30 temps here in Florida and jump back when it gets consistantly 60. Loves the heat as well, we are consistantly in the 90s during our long dreadful summers. Likes shade or sun as long as it is adaquately watered. Anything that would like to nibble on it has to get threw the slight powdering of any cheap laundry detergent around the base it does have other lovers as well as me, myself and I...Mostly snails and those Georgia thumpers which nothing seems to bother with exception of hubbys large boot or the cat when she is energic enough.
By accident hubby mowed one clump down, it laughed and came right back up. Get one it will be happy

Neutral flowers7 On Jun 5, 2010, flowers7 from Lutz, FL wrote:

I planted two of these in two containers at my front door, along with some ivy. They looked beautiful, didn't make it through the hard freeze, however, but want to buy them again. We were not home to cover them, due to an emergency.

I really like this plant, but the problems that I had with it was, snails or something similar were eating the leaves and then I would have to keep trimming them off. I use the bait that was suppose to help, but it didn't seem to, the problem persisted. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, as I do plan on buying two more today to put in the same two containers. They are in full shade, so the sun isn't damaging them.

Any help with what to put on them to stop whatever is eating holes in the leaves would be appreciated.

Any other suggestions of a plant that won't get much higher than 20" and is in the shade to put in these containers would be appreciated.

Linda

Neutral perfectpoodles On May 22, 2010, perfectpoodles from Houston, TX wrote:

I too am in Houston, Texas and just was at Loews and saw this gorgeous plant but decieded to come home and read up on it before I bought it. Kind of confusing to see someone say shade and someone else says sun. The instructions on the plant also said full sun. It is so prfetty I am going to go back and buy a couple tomorrow.

Positive plantaholique On Mar 30, 2010, plantaholique from Sarasota, FL wrote:

I have these growing under and near my large oak trees here in zone 9b in Sarasota, FL and they are gorgeous! Easy too- I fertilize them with sustained release fertilizer 2x /year and that's it. We had a horrific winter this past year, with temps below freezing for a solid week and I was terrified I had lost them as well as many other plants. But amazingly, they came out of it with little to no damage and look better than ever now. We live in an oak and pine forest here so that provides some protection I know. These plants send out 5' tall stalks with babies on them in the summer and are the most stunning plants! Only the babies were damaged in the cold.

Positive Bettygreenthumb On Apr 1, 2009, Bettygreenthumb from Valrico, FL wrote:

I am in Valrico Florida and would like to buy 12 large ones. Where do you recommend

Positive Scogebear On Mar 21, 2009, Scogebear from Boca Raton, FL wrote:

Have this plant in my backyard under a bougainvillea, in shade and it does great. It's mid March and it's currently flowering.

Positive mtnbarbie On Jan 20, 2009, mtnbarbie from Friendswood, TX wrote:

I have 5 of these plants in my zone 9a/9b yard since the middle of last summer. We have had around 7 nights/mornings below freezing in the last month and I neglected to cover them; I was certain they would die. I was pleasantly surprised when nearly a week after our coldest night of the year thus far (29 deg) they were still alive and the majority of the leaves were doing fine. Only some of the leaves near the top have turned brown, and I noticed the plants that were not sheltered from the wind had more frost damage than the others. I have left the dead leaves on for now as they will help to insulate the lower leaves if the weather turns cold again.

Still, I don't plan on taking any chances with the rest of our below freezing nights (if we have any) and will make sure I cover these in the future. This would make a wonderful addition to just about any landscape and is very showy and pleasing to the eye. It is also a plant that is easily shared with friends which pushes it even further up my favorites list.

Positive tremax On Jun 22, 2007, tremax from Delray Beach, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I am in Deray Beach, Fl. zone 10A. I have had several of these plants for a year and a half with great success. They are in an area that is probably sixty per cent shade and is watered well. They are really beautiful. Also have one next to window with no sun that is doing very well.

Positive BayAreaTropics On Sep 23, 2006, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

One of the best indoor plants around.A combination of leaf shape and color makes a visual impact. On top of that it is an excellent houseplant given bright light and moderate humidity. Even it's flowers are exotic. Do not allow to dry out.

Positive arcadon On Feb 11, 2006, arcadon from Lake Charles, LA wrote:

Just a quick note to say that Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar' ('Tricolor') has been root hardy in zone 9a for 2 years now. This one like shade. It blooms in early spring and the flower is a beautiful red - aging to a reddish pink. Also excellent as a container plant and indoors as well.

Neutral MotherNature4 On Jul 23, 2005, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I agree with Ms C. It is difficult to keep this plant looking as pretty as these photos. Even in humid Florida, we do have hot dry days. MN4

Positive MsCritterkeeper On Oct 2, 2003, MsCritterkeeper from The Heart of Texas, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Plant must have high humidity to refrain from leaf curling.
Prefers Temp NO lower than 65F and with increased Temp must have increased humidity. Very nice around my indoor pond and as house plant.Plant apparently comes from the Tropical Americas.Can be treated the same as Prayer Plants & Peacock Plants.

Mobile, Alabama
Dade City, Florida
Fort Myers, Florida
Fort Pierce, Florida
Gainesville, Florida
Jacksonville, Florida (3 reports)
Jupiter, Florida
Key West, Florida
Lake Worth, Florida
Lecanto, Florida
Melbourne Beach, Florida
Merritt Island, Florida
Miccosukee Cpo, Florida
New Port Richey, Florida (2 reports)
Newberry, Florida
Ocala, Florida
Oldsmar, Florida
Orlando, Florida (2 reports)
Palm Coast, Florida
Port Charlotte, Florida
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Saint Cloud, Florida
Saint Petersburg, Florida
Sarasota, Florida (2 reports)
Seffner, Florida
Seminole, Florida
Sumterville, Florida
Tampa, Florida
Titusville, Florida
Valrico, Florida (2 reports)
Venice, Florida
Wellborn, Florida
Winter Springs, Florida
Thomasville, Georgia
Kurtistown, Hawaii
Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)
Covington, Louisiana
Geismar, Louisiana
Gonzales, Louisiana
Lake Charles, Louisiana (2 reports)
New Orleans, Louisiana