Crape Jasmine, Crepe Jasmine
Tabernaemontana divaricata 'Flore Pleno'

Family: Apocynaceae (a-pos-ih-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tabernaemontana (tab-er-nay-MON-tah-nuh) (Info)
Species: divaricata (dy-vair-ih-KAY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Flore Pleno

La Vernia, Texas

Paris, Texas

Tyler, Texas

On Aug 23, 2012, lermfl20 from South Venice, FL wrote:

I have the double flowering version. Does well all but winter. Defoliates 50-60 %. Comes back strong in the summer. Fragrance is subtle.

On Apr 25, 2011, thelovelyplants from Lahore
Pakistan wrote:

I have been growing Crape Jasmine for many years in my garden (Zone 10b, Lahore/Pakistan). Since the plant grows natively in my area, it does not require special care. The plant in my garden (it has become a woody bush) grows under bright sunlight and bears abundance of flowers.

On Dec 10, 2010, ThomPotempa from Houston, TX wrote:

My wife's favorite. Has done well despite the abnormally cold winter last year and the drought conditions this summer. 4/4 survived the winter.

On Sep 4, 2009, HollyRye from Winter Park, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My neighbor planted 8 of these fast growing shrubs between our houses, in full sun, and they are beautiful ~ glossy green leaves, usually in bloom. Last February we had a week of unusually cold weather ~ below freezing and windy. They dropped every leaf and we feared they had died. Weeks past without a sign of life. His landscaper told him they were dead and to dig them out. Instead, John cut off the branches down to a foot from the ground (they were over 6 feet tall). A few weeks later, leaves began to appear. Now, 6 months later, they are again 4 feet high and as lush as ever! The only disappointment I have is that ours are not very fragrant at all, but their evergreen beauty more than compensates for that. They propagate with runners and, happily, some of the runners are in my ... read more

On Oct 1, 2006, joebloom from San Antonio, TX wrote:

I have kept this plant, 'Flore Plena' variety, in a container for over 3 years in my front porch. I cover it up during winter frosts for protection. Plant grows very slow, flower buds take a while to bloom, but flowers last a long time. Flower's scent fills my front porch area - scent is stronger at night.

On Dec 11, 2005, melonary from Mcallen, TX wrote:

We bought an old 1937 home for restoration and found a lovely Carnation of India tree in the back yard - 12 feet high, 12 inch caliper trunk at 12 inches above ground. Research indicates it may have been planted in 1960's. It froze back with Christmas Snow of 2004 but came back in February without any loss. Blooms year-round in McAllen, Texas - beautiful glossy leaves with dozens of delicate crepe-like flowers every day.

On Jun 8, 2004, business2319 from Orlando, FL wrote:

We purchased this house with this tree already 10 feet tall (actually a shrub). It is doing very well under a large oak, in partial shade, and has been flowering lightly since the end of April. The flowers are very lightly scented, reminscent of mock orange. It withstood a drought well, tho now we have it under irrigation (and are in the FL rainy season).

On May 24, 2004, TamiMcNally from Lake Placid, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Easy to grow
Wilts/droops during long drought
Roots easily
Transplants well

On Nov 8, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

I got this plant as a rooted cutting from a friend. When I moved, this was too big to bring, so I shall have to seek another cutting -- and soon, because their house has been sold! I love the very glossy leaves, and the really lovely flowers. It seems quite a tough plant I like those!