PlantFiles: Lantana
Lantana 'New Gold'

Family: Verbenaceae (ver-be-NAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Lantana (lan-TAN-a) (Info)
Cultivar: New Gold
Additional cultivar information: (aka Ham and Eggs)

Seed is poisonous if ingested

Gold (Yellow-Orange)

Thumbnail #6 of Lantana  by slyperso1

By slyperso1
Thumbnail #7 of Lantana  by slyperso1

Neutral Gardeningman On Jul 26, 2012, Gardeningman from Kingman, KS wrote:

I may try to plant this Lantana here in Kingman, KS (zone 6b). I have Lantana 'Ham & Eggs' planted along part of the South foundation of my house, and it comes back each year. It is not supposed to be as hardy as 'New Gold', so I would assume that New Gold would come back too.

Positive tabasco On Oct 11, 2009, tabasco from Cincinnati (Anderson Twp), OH (Zone 6a) wrote:

In Auburn University research studies the Lantana variety "New Gold" was determined to be one of the most attractive lantanas for butterflies.

For more information on this research paper google "Butterfly Feeding Preferences among Cultivars of Lantana"

Another butterfly loving lantana is "Radiation", although butterfly gardeners have reported success with various other lantanas too.

We grow "New Gold" in our 6a garden as an annual.

Positive Marilynbeth On Nov 17, 2008, Marilynbeth from Hebron, KY wrote:

I grew 'New Gold' a couple of years ago in a container on the patio. It's an annual in zone 6a. I really love the fact that it's self cleaning. I love the bright gold color also.

Positive jmarks74 On Jun 16, 2006, jmarks74 from Loganville, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

I live in zone 7b. I thought the plant had died over the winter. I was wrong. It popped right back up this year...beautiful as ever.

Positive Nita2 On May 25, 2006, Nita2 from Petersburg, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

It does great here also. Zone 7

Positive Suze_ On May 1, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Does well in my garden; a dependable returner/perennial for me.

One of the more profuse bloomers I have as to various lantana varieties.

Positive SudieGoodman On Apr 18, 2006, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have 12 New Gold plants in hanging basket.
Added Polymere chrystals to aid in holding water in soil for a longer period. I give plants a deep soak once weekly, if no rain. Trailing habit cascades over my containers and makes a very nice, full plant.
New Gold is a TEXAS SUPERSTAR which means it has survived rugged tests to produce the best lantana possible.
I'm in Zone 8b where it is hot, dry and very humid most of my summer. This New Gold is my champion.
"Keep those hands dirty"......Sunbonnet Sue

Positive Sunshines2day On Mar 13, 2005, Sunshines2day from Lubbock, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

Perfect low maintenance flower for West Texas heat and drought conditions. This is the only variation of Lantana that I have grown that reappears late spring.

Positive WillowWasp On May 2, 2004, WillowWasp from Jones Creek, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

Very nice plant, minimal care and loads of bright yellow flowers. Will keep this one and propigate more.

Positive CentralTX On Jan 8, 2004, CentralTX from Belton, TX wrote:

This plant loves a hot dry full sun location. I put one by the mailbox several years ago. It has concrete on two sides, (curb and sidewalk). It grows best over the curb and into the street. I have to trim it back several time each summer. It blooms constantly. It is very easy to root. When ever I trim it back, I stick a few stems in a spare pot and once its rooted, pass it along to a neighbor or family member.

Positive htop On Oct 12, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
This Lantana blooms prolifically and does not seed. It grows so fast I have to prune it! It does best in full sun (the hotter the better) and I very seldom water it. It is a super xeriscape plant. I agree with Kaufmann about its dense foliage and blooms. I have four other types of Lantana, and 'New Gold' performs better than any of the others. The next best variety is the lower growing purple one.

Positive Kaufmann On Oct 11, 2003, Kaufmann from GOD's Green Earth
United States (Zone 8b) wrote:

Bulverde, Texas: this plant grows rapidly (4" pot planted in May to 4'X 4'in August). Blooms non-stop from April until killing frost. In my opionion, a fuller, denser plant with more blooms than the other Lantanas. Root hardy in this area -- Zone 8. Somewhat deer resistant, although as we all know if they are hungry enough, they'll eat anything!

North Little Rock, Arkansas
Zachary, Louisiana
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Madison, Mississippi
Oxford, Mississippi
Las Vegas, Nevada (2 reports)
Moapa, Nevada