Mango 'Glenn'

Mangifera indica

Family: Anacardiaceae (an-a-kard-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Mangifera (man-GEF-er-uh) (Info)
Species: indica (IN-dih-kuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Glenn

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Late Fall/Early Winter

Mid Winter

Provides winter interest

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Big Pine Key, Florida

Boynton Beach, Florida

Kissimmee, Florida

Merritt Island, Florida

Pompano Beach, Florida

Tampa, Florida

Vero Beach, Florida

On Jul 9, 2011, jeanne77 from Parkland, FL wrote:

I have a Glenn Mango tree planted about a month's growing like crazy however, the new growth isn't green but a pale red/ this normal...Is the tree okay? I did feed it once...

On May 20, 2009, Vincyman from Tampa, FL wrote:

I bought and planted a 3ft tree from a local nursery in 2005. With minimal fertilizing and watering, it doubled in size and produced about ten very tasty and wonderful mangoes in 2007. The picture above is of one of the mangoes on the tree. When ready, the fruit would go from slightly yellow to light yellow with just a blush of pink in one day and drops to the ground if not picked that day. However that was the last time I got fruit. The past two years brought late winters and much too early blossoms. These blossoms were subsequently destroyed by cold spells that usually occur in February here in central Florida. The tree is known to be cold hardy but it did not survive the particularly severe cold freeze that hit central Florida last February. The tree survived a few more months but ... read more

On Apr 21, 2005, Kameha from Kissimmee, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

Beautiful tree...makes a nice shade tree when mature. It sets fruit better than most mangoes and the flavor is deliciously sweet and more peachy than other mangoes.

Mine started blooming late in November and is continuing to bloom now in April! Keep soil on the dry side while it is flowering. Protect flowers and small fruit from temperatures below 40 degrees...I usually invert a trash can over my tree during cold nights.

On Aug 5, 2004, sonotaps from Phoenix, AZ wrote:

The folks in Florida can't have all the fun.

I have a Glenn Mango planted on a south wall here in Phoenix for maximum cold protection. It doesn't seem to have difficulty with the dry air, but while growth flushes are occurring I spray it down with water to help the new leaves push through. We're dry here so it helps. Love the red color of the new growth flushes. My mango grows pretty fast and likes our heat. Late day sun protection the first year of planting is advised until it gets rooted and acclimated.

Since I live in Phoenix, I don't have to worry about cold all that much, but I definitely protect it on those few nights when frost might threaten the tree.