Woollybush
Adenanthos sericeus

Family: Proteaceae (pro-tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Adenanthos (a-den-AN-thos) (Info)
Species: sericeus (ser-IK-ee-us) (Info)
Synonym:Adenanthos sericea

Scarlet (Dark Red)

Late Fall/Early Winter

Blue-Green

Capitola, California

Carlsbad, California

On Mar 2, 2013, Anniesfollies from Carlsbad, CA (Zone 10b) wrote:

I love the soft green color, texture, and feel of the Woollybush. I planted a 12" tall one from a one gallon pot into a 30" tall by 12" wide pot three years ago, and today the plant is almost 3' tall and is lush and beautiful. It grows in filtered shade. The nursery told me that watering it right could be tricky but I've found it easy to grow. The two times I did let it go dry for over a month it lost a few small short branches but I certainly wouldn't consider it difficult.
I don't understand why it's not more popular because everyone who sees them at garden shows, nurseries, etc. seems to love them.

On Oct 5, 2003, kennedyh from Churchill, Victoria
Australia (Zone 10a) wrote:

The Woollybush is a West Australian shrub in the Protea family. The small jug-shaped flowers are bright red, but easily overlooked amongst the soft feathery foliage. They are nevertheless attractive to birds for their nectar. The shrub is popular in cultivation in Australia, but more for its foliage than its flowers. I was given a cutting many years ago and now have a 2 metre tall shrub in my garden, which has a few flowers on it most of the year.