PlantFiles: Pasopaya Palm, Bolivian Mountain Coconut
Parajubaea torallyi

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Parajubaea (par-uh-joo-BAY-uh) (Info)
Species: torallyi

Palms

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Silver/Gray

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Thumbnail #1 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #2 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #3 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #4 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #5 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #6 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Thumbnail #7 of Parajubaea torallyi by palmbob

Positive Mendopalmfarm On Oct 31, 2012, Mendopalmfarm from Willits, CA wrote:

These are some of the coolest palm you can grow in norcal. I have three with 3' of trunk and awesome canopies. They have no problems handling my frosty winters with temps in the mid to low 20's. I average about 10 or more days of light snow. If you can grow brahia edulis where you live then I'm sure you can party with this beauty too. By the way I also got 5 butia/queen hybrids one has 8' of trunk now these are another super winner hope you all can find some of these specimens out there. Nick from mendo :)

Positive marc_schuyler On Apr 26, 2012, marc_schuyler from Saratoga, CA wrote:

I have two of these palms (Saratoga/Cupertino), and despite our typical winter lows (25.3 this year, typically 26-28), my parajubaea's are not only unphased, but show luster, i.e., they are "happy." Based on the winters I have had these in the ground, I expect they would tolerate lows well below 25. Based on the other palms I grow, I would recommend this as one of the best performing "more exotic" feather palms for northern california.

Positive TropiSocal_dave On Oct 12, 2007, TropiSocal_dave from Garden Grove, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

The Parajubaea torallyi is perfect for non-tropical areas like California.This palm can handle the heat and cold quite well. It prefers a warm with not too moist soil. This species grows much faster, and takes more heat than it's brother, cocoides. The torallyi can be placed in full sun even as a young seedling. It keeps it strap leaves for about 4-5 years. Grasshoppers have been know to devour strap leaves so an insecticide may be used.

Positive palmbob On Oct 6, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is probably one of the very best palms suited for Southern California weather. It actually does pretty well in N California, too. Not a good palm for humid climates such as Florida and Hawaii. This palm is native to the Andes of western Bolivia and is pretty rare there.. but recently it has been collected heavily and is starting to show up in cultivation. It is a magnificent palm, approaching monolithic proportions- thick, hairy trunk and up to 60' tall, maybe taller. It is also a pretty fast grower, which we need here in So Cal, since 95% of palms that grow here are too slow to interest the average grower. The leaves are a slightly silvery-grey on top, and slightly copper underneath; have thin, long leaflets, and are extremely tolerant of high winds, amazingly enough (another thing we need a palm to tolerate in So Cal). Other than its rarity, it is the perfect palm for So Cal... and the rarity part will change someday soon I think. Now if it would just be a bit easier to germinate (takes up to 2 years for a seed to 'pop').

Brentwood, California