Pasopaya Palm, Bolivian Mountain Coconut
Parajubaea torallyi

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Parajubaea (par-uh-joo-BAY-uh) (Info)
Species: torallyi

Palms

Silver/Gray

over 40 ft. (12 m)

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Tucson, Arizona

Deltona, Florida

Perrysburg, Ohio

Galveston, Texas

On Oct 31, 2012, Mendopalmfarm from Willits, CA wrote:

These are some of the coolest palm you can grow in norcal. I have three with 3' of trunk and awesome canopies. They have no problems handling my frosty winters with temps in the mid to low 20's. I average about 10 or more days of light snow. If you can grow brahia edulis where you live then I'm sure you can party with this beauty too. By the way I also got 5 butia/queen hybrids one has 8' of trunk now these are another super winner hope you all can find some of these specimens out there. Nick from mendo :)

On Apr 26, 2012, marc_schuyler from Saratoga, CA wrote:

I have two of these palms (Saratoga/Cupertino), and despite our typical winter lows (25.3 this year, typically 26-28), my parajubaea's are not only unphased, but show luster, i.e., they are "happy." Based on the winters I have had these in the ground, I expect they would tolerate lows well below 25. Based on the other palms I grow, I would recommend this as one of the best performing "more exotic" feather palms for northern california.

On Oct 12, 2007, TropiSocal_dave from Garden Grove, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

The Parajubaea torallyi is perfect for non-tropical areas like California.This palm can handle the heat and cold quite well. It prefers a warm with not too moist soil. This species grows much faster, and takes more heat than it's brother, cocoides. The torallyi can be placed in full sun even as a young seedling. It keeps it strap leaves for about 4-5 years. Grasshoppers have been know to devour strap leaves so an insecticide may be used.

On Oct 6, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is probably one of the very best palms suited for Southern California weather. It actually does pretty well in N California, too. Not a good palm for humid climates such as Florida and Hawaii. This palm is native to the Andes of western Bolivia and is pretty rare there.. but recently it has been collected heavily and is starting to show up in cultivation. It is a magnificent palm, approaching monolithic proportions- thick, hairy trunk and up to 60' tall, maybe taller. It is also a pretty fast grower, which we need here in So Cal, since 95% of palms that grow here are too slow to interest the average grower. The leaves are a slightly silvery-grey on top, and slightly copper underneath; have thin, long leaflets, and are extremely tolerant of high winds, amazingly enough (another t... read more