Roxburgh Fig
Ficus auriculata

Family: Moraceae (mor-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ficus (FY-kus) (Info)
Species: auriculata (aw-rik-yoo-LAY-tuh) (Info)

Edible Fruits and Nuts

Mulberry, Florida

Colquitt, Georgia

Pass Christian, Mississippi

On Sep 8, 2012, changa4 from SYLMAR, CA wrote:

We live in the los angeles area and our ficus auriculata was doing very well, until the new gardener cut the bottom growth. It seems this bottom growth was helping to keep the soil moist in our 100+ degree weather. Now ficus is dropping leaves like crazy! We are so sad, but hope it recoups.
Has anyone had any luck with growing new plants from cuttings?

On May 5, 2012, alenemurphy from Camarillo, CA wrote:

I've had this tree growing in my yard for about a year. The leaves all fall off mid to late winter but they quickly start growing again in spring. I love this tree and its beautiful leaves for our tropical backyard. It was the first thing I planted when we started to re-do our yard, and of course, now it is not in the right place, so I'd like to move it. It is not huge (about 4ft). Has anyone had any experience doing this? I assume it will fair well as most of ficus root easily. Is there a specific time of year that would be best to do this?

On Feb 17, 2012, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

In my z9a, this fig dies to the ground and emerges in spring. I have seen a spectacular specimen at Yucca Do Nursery when it was located off FM 359 in Hempstead, TX. I was told it was not given any sort of winter protection and was planted inground in a brutally sunny location. I lost a Roxburgh fix in the winter of 2008 and quickly replaced it. It makes such a statement in the garden. Mine are in ground, in moist locations.

On May 23, 2009, markdeutsch from Pass Christian, MS wrote:

There are two reasons to start cuttings of this tree in at least a 3gal. pot. The leaves get so big, they transpire much water. This makes them subject to drying if moist soil is not maintained. Also, if it's put in a small pot, it quickly outgrows it. Save yourself some trouble by starting with a medium or large one. I'm amazed at how fast this tree grows ! I began a year ago with a six- inch start in a 1 gal. pot. It grew to 3 feet tall in 3 months. Mother plant was almost dormant in winter protection. It is now 5 ft. tall with 2 ft long leaves. It is this size after taking about 10 cuttings off. In the cool of March I stuck a 6 inch piece in the native soil of 5.5 ph. It is now,in late May, about a foot tall with 7 hand-sized leaves. Because I'm at the border of Zone 8B-9A, I expe... read more

On Jan 20, 2009, WebInt from Vista, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

There are two forms of this plant being sold. The true form that you see here in PF mostly and a more traditional tree forming type. The true form has larger leaves with no serration. It tends to form a large shrub-like tree. The other one has smaller leaves and that are serrated. This version can be grown into a tree. Both are called Ficus auriculata and both have the nice maroon new growth.

On Apr 18, 2008, GaTropical wrote:

Grows quite well as a perennial in southern Georgia (zone 8b). Grows 8 to 10 feet tall in a single season with 18+ inch leaves before dying to the ground with the first freeze. Got my cutting from a plant grown outdoors in Anniston, AL (northern AL) so is probably hardy as a perennial much further north than here. Excellent plant to add a tropical touch to a temperate garden.

On May 17, 2007, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Well,i just got mine today. It might be the first in Northern California. Why isnt it planted here when it's a semi hardy fig?.It is claimed to be a USDA Zone 8b plant.That's more than hardy enough for northernCal.
I also understand it to be able to take xeric conditions when established and some have said the figs are sweet and delicious. That's alot of good things.

On Oct 7, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a spectacular tree and has incredibly nice, large leaves that are maroon when just emerging. Though not a tall tree, it can be very wide (20-30') and is a prolific producer of large figs though not sure how edible they are... they grown in large quantities right off the trunk, sometimes nearly covering it... figs flattish shaped. This native of South China is growing in several locations about Southern California