PlantFiles: Pineapple Flower, Pineapple Lily
Eucomis autumnalis

Family: Hyacinthaceae
Genus: Eucomis (YOO-com-iss) (Info)
Species: autumnalis (aw-tum-NAH-lis) (Info)

Synonym:Eucomis undulata

Thumbnail #6 of Eucomis autumnalis by Suze_

By TomH3787
Thumbnail #7 of Eucomis autumnalis by TomH3787

Positive Xariec On Jul 17, 2013, Xariec from Folsom, CA wrote:

Our friend gave us this plant as it wasn't growing well in his Garden. We planted it around August but it disappeared in October. I never expected to see it return, but this spring it shot right up. We have it planted in direct sunlight and it receives water every morning from the lawn sprinklers. Growing great and blooming well, there is already an offshoot on one side. I might divide and replant or just let it go and see if it will clump up :-)

Thinking about adding Gayfeather near it. Something tells me they will compliment each other.

Positive Sandwichkatexan On Apr 1, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

I have the katie variety , For some reason it has multiplied like crazy . In the three years in the ground it has taken over the small flowerbed 4x4 in front of the front door . It must be really happy because I never water it or even think twice about it just neglect the heck outta it and it has taken over from one bulb purchased at the PX in San Antonio in 2008 .

Positive vossner On Jul 29, 2009, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

This plant is doing well in my garden despite of the care (or lack thereof) I give it. Mine is planted inground, gets afternoon sun and moderate water. It has bloomed faithfully since the first year I planted and it is expanding slowly but surely. Again, I do not know what I'm doing right. The pink flowering or the one with the purple foliage, which are planted in the same area, do not do half as well as this one.

Positive jmorth On Nov 26, 2008, jmorth from Divernon, IL (Zone 5b) wrote:

Overwintered dry in pot in basement. Replicates yearly.

Negative eliasastro On Oct 19, 2008, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

Never managed to make it bloom in my site.
I suppose it disliked the very hot summer of 90's and 100's.
Looked really sad!
Or maybe i got a sick bulb?

Positive Suze_ On Apr 30, 2006, Suze_ from (Zone 7b) wrote:

Easy care plant I'd highly recommend, especially to those in warmer climates (but bulbs can be certainly be dug and stored/overwintered in cooler climates). Very decorative, great bloom spikes throughout the season, nice foliage coloration in the autumn.

Positive MotherNature4 On Oct 21, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

I was given this blooming plant for Christmas last year, and am looking forward to seeing it bloom again. I was unable to identify it. No one I asked knew what it was. Thanks to Palm Bob's photo, I was able to make the connection.

Positive mungoj On Nov 14, 2003, mungoj from Murfreesboro, TN wrote:

This is a fantastic plant for anyone in USDA zones 6 to 9! Extremely easy to grow with little to no effort in my zone 6b garden. The only winter protection I provide is 2-3 inches of hardwood mulch scattered over the top of the plant after the first freeze. This plant rewards me every summer with beautiful and exotic flowers on tall 3 foot stalks.

It needs plenty of sunlight to bloom and show off its other great feature: dark purple foliage in the spring and fall. I have six of these plants in the ground along my driveway, and after five years, they're three feet in diameter and about two feet tall. Everyone needs this plant in their landscaping!

Calistoga, California