Blue Spur Flower, Speckled Spur Flower, Candlestick Plant
Plectranthus ciliatus 'Zulu Wonder'

Family: Lamiaceae (lay-mee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Plectranthus (plek-TRAN-thus) (Info)
Species: ciliatus (sil-ee-ATE-us) (Info)
Cultivar: Zulu Wonder

Violet/Lavender

From leaf cuttings

Alameda, California

Clayton, California

Fairfield, California

Manhattan Beach, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Fort Mc Coy, Florida

Denville, New Jersey

On Jun 15, 2012, atisch from Alameda, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

I obtained a rooted cutting from a fellow local gardener 2 years ago. I've been growing it in an 6"- 8" clay pots and have grown it successfully in both full sun and partial shade. This Plectranthus over-wintered out-of-doors here (zone 9b) without any setbacks. I wouldn't exactly call it an ideal potted foliage plant as the leaves are only moderately attractive IMO. The plant looks best with pinching during active growth to encourage branching and multiple bloom spikes.

'Zulu Wonder' blooms prolifically from mid summer to early fall. The informal, spotted lavender flowers grow on numerous and long, reddish spikes. Very attractive plant when in bloom and attracts visitors comments. Cut back aggressively after bloom is finished in the fall.

All in all an easy ... read more

On Jun 17, 2008, koipondgardener from Quincy, WA (Zone 7a) wrote:

This is the first year that I have seen this plant for sale in the annual flowers section at the nurseries. I haven't grown it before but I can tell that I will love it already. It has beautiful purple color under the green leaves that match perfectly with its lavender colored flowers. I am already planning to take some cuttings to root and grow inside over the winter. You can tell that It is a relative to the common swedish ivy (USDA zone 10) by looking at the habit and the leaf structure. I love this plant and recomend trying it!

On Apr 30, 2004, frogsrus from San Diego, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

This plant is a true beauty. Blooms prolifically in late summer or early fall. Grows quickly from cuttings.