Haworthia-leaved Aloe

Aloe haworthioides

Family: Aloaceae
Genus: Aloe (AL-oh) (Info)
Species: haworthioides (hay-worth-ee-OY-deez) (Info)
Synonym:Lemeea haworthioides
Synonym:Aloinella haworthioides

Cactus and Succulents

Plant has spines or sharp edges; use extreme caution when handling

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Bonsall, California

Vista, California

Lake Worth, Florida

Henderson, Nevada

On Sep 26, 2013, Fires_in_motion from Vacherie, LA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A cute and unique little plant; one of the ultimate windowsill houseplants in my opinion. Such a perfect houseplant, in fact, that I haven't even dared to try it outdoors yet. I got mine in February and I literally haven't cut off a dead leaf yet... It's almost like a miracle how all the leaves seem to stay green, with their unique white filaments frizzing outward. Very touchable, and, like I said: cute. Women will literally start flocking to you if you buy one of these aloes.

On Mar 29, 2010, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

For me this is one of the tougher aloes to grow. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but I usualy grow my aloes in the garden and this one tends to get dehydrated easily and then rot. On the other hand, it sometimes just rots from excess water. Does NOT like full sun, or really much of any sun. I can grow it in pots, but making it part of the landscaping requires a very specific climate i think. I have not been able to keep one alive for more than a few years.

On Mar 29, 2010, promethean_spar from Union City, CA wrote:

A charming miniature aloe with fuzzy spines that make it look similar to some Haworthias. Clusters densely with most growth occurring in warmer months, small orange flowers occur in the late autumn. Growth rate is rapid, roughly doubling each year.

This plant survived a frost in my greenhouse where a nearby thermometer read 25'F.