PlantFiles: Red Powderpuff
Calliandra haematocephala 'Nana'

Family: Mimosaceae
Genus: Calliandra (kal-ee-AN-druh) (Info)
Species: haematocephala (hee-mat-oh-SEF-uh-luh) (Info)
Cultivar: Nana

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #6 of Calliandra haematocephala by Equilibrium

By Equilibrium
Thumbnail #7 of Calliandra haematocephala by Equilibrium

Positive sunkissed On Mar 6, 2015, sunkissed from Winter Springs, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have two of the Dwarf powder puffs, and one of the large powder puffs. The dwarf plants produce flowers pretty much all year long, unlike the large that only gets blooms in the winter through spring. I'm in zone 9b and if we dip below freezing the plant will be damaged. Mine have even been frozen back to the ground when we had many nights in the upper and mid 20's, but they always come back in the spring. I have one in full sun most the day against my house's east side, which is about six years old. This past year it reached a height of about six foot since we've had some mild winters. It will wilt if we get too hot and little rain, but bounces back fine once we get rain again. The other plant is about four years old and in mostly shade, getting only morning sun until the afternoon. It is a deeper richer green and still flowers but not as much as the one in full sun. The plant attracts lots of bees,mostly honey bees, and some butterflies. I've had no problems with pest and do not give it anything but mulch and water.

Positive sdlady On Jun 9, 2005, sdlady from San Diego, CA (Zone 11) wrote:

My row of shrubs, in the ground many years, has been sheared annually into a 6' hedge after the winter bloom period is over. Planted in a dry area on the side of my house, they are truly drought tolerant, subsisting on rain water only, which in coastal San Diego averages 11 inches per year between November and April. The plentiful watermelon red blooms are charming; the new growth a lovely bronze with a graceful arching form.

Positive TerriFlorida On Oct 11, 2003, TerriFlorida from Plant City, FL wrote:

I am far enough inland that my dwarf form of this species, C. h. 'Nana' may not survive the winter. I am in zone 9b usually, it depends on what kind of winter we have. I know the species survived many years at a friend's place who is also 9b. I chose to find the smaller cultivar, which is supposed to stay at 4' tall or so, so it would be easier to protect during frosts.

These are beautiful plants. The red flowers are about 2" across, and the red is soft, it is an easy color to garden around. The shrubs are nearly always wider than tall, making a big fountain effect. They bloom a lot, always a big plus in shrubs! Since they are high-light shrubs, growing indoors is risky. But, if you invest in grow lights, it might be worth the effort for the winter color.

La Mesa, California
San Diego, California (2 reports)
Gainesville, Florida