Swamp Lily, ašucena-do-brejo
Crinum erubescens

Family: Amaryllidaceae (am-uh-ril-id-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Crinum (KRY-num) (Info)
Species: erubescens (er-yoo-BESS-kens) (Info)

Bulbs

USDA Zone 9a: to -6.6 ░C (20 ░F)

USDA Zone 9b: to -3.8 ░C (25 ░F)

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 ░C (30 ░F)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 ░C (35 ░F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 ░C (40 ░F)

Villers-l├Ęs-nancy,

Corpus Christi, Texas

Humble, Texas

On Dec 10, 2011, Sarkosy from funchal
Portugal wrote:

In Funchal, Madeira, Portugal the plant is in bloom in late September and early October.

The Blooms are on stems which grow from ground level, the spiky leaves come later. In Funchal the plants are seen growing in the wild amongst the Agapanthus,

On Jan 11, 2007, jawadkundi from Lahore
Pakistan wrote:

" Swamp Lily, is here in my garden since my child hood, 25 to 30 year old specimens, one flower ranging form 10 inch to 17 inch diameter, they love the after cold early warmth in february, Early pre-spring to the late spring, only if watering is managed with trimming of its mamonth leaves, the stem grows to an 8 inch diameter with many baby plants, best is to divide them in monsoon or excessive rainy season. Its a lilly bulb so it requires plenty of water but with plenty of water it needs the eqvi-valent amount of heat aswell, my Swamp Lilies are in full sun light, (here in lahore -Pakistan it reaches up to 50 degree centigrade easily in summers) so if watering is managed it never gives up,

there is a sometimes problem when the bud sprouts fall towards the ground, this happ... read more

On Jul 17, 2004, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

In fall 2001, I dug what was then a huge specimen of this plant up from the yard of a house I was helping to remodel, having no idea at the time what it was, and planted it in my back yard. (St. Petersburg, FL). At first it seemed to do well, and even bloomed the following April (see uploaded photo). But after the summer rains began, it started having problems, as the ground in my back yard can stay very wet throughout the summer.

By this time I had planted an off-shoot of the plant in a dryer, full-sun area in my front yard, and it quickly grew huge and thrived, blooming several times last summer (2003). Therefore, I decided to move the original plant before it completely died.

Although very near death at the time, it has actually started growing again in... read more

On May 19, 2004, TamiMcNally from Lake Placid, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have had one of mine for over twenty years. I have grown in it sun, part shade, and shade. While it grew in all conditions, it does best in part shade.

Mine bloom once per year, and the flowers are mildly fragrant.