Angel Trumpet, Angel's Trumpet

Brugmansia suaveolens

Genus: Brugmansia (broog-MAN-zee-ah) (Info)
Species: suaveolens (swah-vee-OH-lens) (Info)
» View all varieties of Brugmansias

From seed; winter sow in vented containers, coldframe or unheated greenhouse

From seed; germinate in a damp paper towel

Madison, Alabama

New Orleans, Louisiana

Brodheadsville, Pennsylvania

Christoval, Texas

On Sep 1, 2013, Sarahbell8569 from Wahiawa, HI wrote:

I live in Oahu Hawaii and I just planted a brugmansia suaveolens a couple of weeks ago in an 8" planter(in full sun). I understand it takes awhile to germinate but I was wondering if anyone knows how long it can/will take for me to see any blooms?

On Oct 23, 2011, nutzoverplants from Newnan, GA wrote:

This 3 year old semi-woody shrub was grown from a semi-hard cutting. Frequent fertilizing is needed to get a good quantity of flowers. Slow-release fertilizer was not successful. In zones 8B-9B, it dies to the ground in winter and resprouts in late spring; under these conditions it rarely exceeds 8 ft (2.4 m) in height. It is slow to resprout so you have to be patient, as well as optimistic. Plants that are repeatedly killed to the ground winter after winter often weaken and die in a few years. The corolla has five points that are slightly recurved and shaped like trumpets. The flowers are usually white and are pendulous, hanging almost straight down.

On Oct 1, 2009, PinetopPlanter from Auburn Four Corners, PA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I had tried twice before to grow this plant, thinking, erroneously, that because it is a semi-tropical plant that I should give it as much sun as possible here in the Northeast. It never seemed to grow so well, and we had no more than a few blooms by Fall, at which time it would be cut down by frost.

Not so this year. Thanks to the "Brug people" on this site, I was brought up to speed on the needs of this plant. DO NOT give it sun all day. It's too much. Give it a ton of water, and feed it well. Our plant this year came from an ebay seller. It came as a fairly large plant (about 3.5 feet tall), but was a little worn from the trip in the mail. I used Miracle Grow timed release food, watered copiously, and gave it a position on our deck in the mountains with about 2.5 hours di... read more

On Aug 7, 2009, SW_gardener from (Zone 6a) wrote:

Most rewarding to grow from seed! Over-winters easily indoors and can bloom first year from seed.
Amazing evening fragrance!

On Jan 18, 2007, Turtlegaby from Decatur, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

I got some small rooted cuttings of this plant 3 years ago in spring. Planted in a semi shaded area, the plants grew appr. 4 feet tall the first year but didn't bloom. During the first winter I kept them in the house except of one. This one died (zone 7a), but came back in spring. They all reached a good size (appr. 7') in the second year and have been loaded with hundreds of fragrant blooms. They bloomed continiously through the whole summer until late fall.

I have 5 of them in different colors planted around the patio and every evening, when we sat on the patio, we could enjoy this incredible sweet fragrance. Now I cut them back in the winter, mulch the roots heavily and they always come back in spring and grow stronger each year.

They are real conversation... read more

On Apr 29, 2004, BlackRobes from Fort Gaines, GA wrote:

Brugmansia Suaveolens "White Spring"
I've had this growing and blooming in a flower bed since 1998. It gets full morning sun until about 11:30 am and then filtered sun until about 2:00 pm, shade after that.
Grows about 6' tall and about 7' - 8' wide, in well drained soil. Blooms in "batches" off and on through the summer, starting in about June until cold snap in Oct. I cut it back for winter to about 5" and top with pine straw and save some tip cutting and root in water, plant in spring.