Texas Muhly Grass, Florida Muhly Grass 'Regal Mist'

Muhlenbergia capillaris

Family: Poaceae (poh-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Muhlenbergia (mew-len-BERG-gee-uh) (Info)
Species: capillaris (kap-ill-AIR-iss) (Info)
Cultivar: Regal Mist

Good Fall Color

7.9 to 8.5 (alkaline)

Mobile, Alabama

Vincent, Alabama

Phoenix, Arizona (2 reports)

Brownsville, California

Earlysville, Virginia

Newport News, Virginia

Norfolk, Virginia

On Feb 26, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A very beautiful clump-forming grass in all seasons, but especially when its misty pink bloom floats over it in early fall. It forms neat clumps of fine-textured foliage and does not spread. Growing in full sun and well-drained soils, all five of my plants made it through one mild winter only to die in their second. (Boston, MA Z6a)

East coast gardeners from Z7b to Z5 should consider growing the hardier M. reverchonii instead.

Though its native range reached Massachusetts, all of the plants now in commerce sold as M. capillaris appear to belong to a less hardy southern coastal ecotype, once called M. capilliaris var. filipes. It is technically correct to label these plants M. capillaris, but it misleads those north of Z7b/8a into believing they've purchased a ... read more

On Oct 5, 2013, Liz53 from Clinton, WA wrote:

I recently moved from Texas (where pink Muhly grass thrives!) to the PNW. Though I haven't seen much around here, I was thrilled to find it at my local nursery this past spring and bought 3. Now that they should be blooming, only one has blooms and they are puny. Did I remember this when I encountered pink muhly grass at 25% off yesterday? No....I bought 3 more which I'll plant today. I'm hoping they will settle in over the winter and bloom vigorously next summer (and don't rot out in the wet winter season). This is such a beautiful grass I'm willing to take a chance on it. I hope I'll have a positive update to contribute this time next year. Hope springs eternal.

On Dec 26, 2012, dunnster1 from Seattle, WA wrote:

I have actually never grown this plant, but have admired it in South Carolina gardens for years. I live and garden in Seattle, WA, and wonder if it would flower here in our cool weather, even in full sun? Anyone have experience growing this plant in cool weather?

On May 3, 2012, amallen from Johns Island, SC wrote:

This grass-or its close cousin is grown everywhere on the SC sea islands. Carefree with spectacular misty pink in Fall, especially after heavy dew. Local experts vary about cutting back-greenskeepers and local nurserymen told me not to cut back but rather thin dead leaves from the plant with rake or by hand and keep debris buildup away from base of plant. Cut back plants can be unattractive until full new growth is in but uncut continue to provide visual interest until new growth takes over. May develop rot in center if exceptionally wet season.

On Apr 8, 2011, ransom3 from Zephyrhills, FL wrote:

In my opinion the most beautiful of the ornamental grasses. I am amazed at how long Pink Muhly retains that soft pink color even after heavy downpours.I am curioius to see how it appears and contrasts with deep purple millet.

On Mar 19, 2011, pasogardener from Paso Robles, CA wrote:

Planted several along front picket fence in August. Only one bloomed slightly. Possibly plants were still too young. Even though blooms were sparse, the plants looked wonderful. Very wispy, but filled the area without blocking out the fence from our view. They held up well to summer heat, winter frost and rain. I did (reluctantly) cut back in February, but they've grown 4-5 inches in the six weeks since. Can't wait until fall to see if we get more blooming. Either way I love the plant.

On Mar 14, 2010, ceejaytown from The Woodlands, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I absolutely LOVE my Gulf Coast Muhly. It is pretty throughout the spring as it grows, in the summer as a very neat mound of thin grassy blades, and then POW! in the fall when it goes into bloom. Then I am awestruck!
It reseeds, and that gives me new plantings to place in other areas of my yard, and to give to friends who very much want them after seeing mine in bloom.
Don't cut back until February, or late winter, as the muhly gives interest in the garden even when in its winter color of tan.

On Jan 23, 2007, FloridaG8or from Lake Butler, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

In my area this grass is known as "Pink Muhley Gras." I planted it into one of my native gardens last spring, and it has done awsome. I rarley water it and it has exploded in size since it's original purchase. This winter the entire plant looked pink (hence the name). I have actually found this species growing wild in Melrose, Florida, along with wire grass on a piece of land that (fortunatly) hasn't yet been cleared for agreculture or housing. I would recomend it to anyone in the area who is looking for a great drought tolerant grass to accent their garden.

On Jan 5, 2006, onlyinokla from Midwest City, OK (Zone 7b) wrote:

Purchased Pink Muhly Grass last April of 2005. Grew beautifully throughout the months here in Okla. Bloomed in Sept. and was a spectacular puff of deep pink smoke. It still has its plumes (with a light pink hue) and it is now Jan. 2006. Many compliments from neighbors, friends, and walkers. Look forward to planting a ring bed of nothing but Pink Muhly Grass around a Japanese Flowering Purple Plum.

On Nov 8, 2005, BUFFY690 from Prosperity, SC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I now have 6 clumps of this wonderfull grass. When my other plants start to peter out in the end of the summer this takes over and no one notices. Very Cool grass. Found if I plant it high in the ground and mulch in it does much better (better drainage in our clay soil) I also amend so it wont be sooo heavy.
Fabulous Grass A++

On Dec 25, 2004, TREEHUGR from Now in Orlando, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

My town, like so many others in Florida have planted this wonderful native along the highways. Some lingering color on them and it's 12/25.

No major pests or disease problems, will grow in a variety of conditions and it's also found growing wild in various habitats. Even salt.

Provides nesting material and cover for wildlife. See my photo.

On Jul 16, 2004, parkbob from Abilene, TX (Zone 7a) wrote:

we've had good success and many positive remarks about it. Our sources say its cold tolerance is zone 6-7. Also known in Texas as 'Gulf Muhly'.

On Jun 24, 2004, pauliemv from Vineyard Haven, MA wrote:

I planted six of them after seeing them in bloom. They really knocked my sox off! However after a severe New England winter, they all perished. A sad day indeed. I did love the way they looked.

On Oct 20, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
This ornamental clumping grass is native to Texas and Florida and grows 3 feet tall and wide. With the flower spikes (inflorescence), it is 4 feet tall and 4 feet wide. The deep pinkish-red inflorescence which are loose and open in appearance give the tops of the plants a feathery or cotton candy look. They last up to two months. The inflorescence is quite magnificent when backlit by early morning or late afternoon sun.

The preferred time to plant it is in the fall in a location that receives reflected sun, full sun or lightly filtered sun. It adapts to about any type of soil and will thrive in sandy locations. Requiring little water after being established, the plants will perform better and flower more abundantly if given regular supplemental water ... read more