PlantFiles: Joseph's Coat, Dwarf Rose Joseph's Coat
Alternanthera ficoidea 'Rosea Nana'

Family: Amaranthaceae
Genus: Alternanthera (al-ter-NANTH-ur-uh) (Info)
Species: ficoidea (fy-KOY-dee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Rosea Nana

Thumbnail #2 of Alternanthera ficoidea by htop

By salvia_lover
Thumbnail #3 of Alternanthera ficoidea by salvia_lover

Positive MaryLindsey On Apr 15, 2008, MaryLindsey from Lake Worth, FL wrote:

I found a beautiful new variation of this at my local nursery in Lake Worth, Florida. It's called "Red Crinkle". I've planted it around the base of my mature Queen Palm and around my Frangipani. Every shade of pink and red and purple in those delicate little mounds. People have stopped in their cars to comment on this unusual beauty.

Mary

Positive Maudie On Oct 23, 2003, Maudie from Harvest, AL wrote:

This is an excellent little plant for edging. Very easy to grow and looks well in front of shrubs or other plants; a colorful addition to the flower border.

Positive wnstarr On Oct 22, 2003, wnstarr from Puyallup, WA (Zone 5a) wrote:

I grew up with my Mother having one growing in a pot about the kitchen sink. Very pretty plant for its foliage colors. Much to my surprise I saw it growing in Viet Nam and being used as an edging plant like we would plant boxwood. Thanks for bring back the memories.

Positive htop On Oct 20, 2003, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

San Antonio, Tx.
I tried out this dwarf Joseph's coat this summer. The leaves are very small and narrow. Until they start turning colors, the plant is somewhat uninteresting except for providing green color and texture. But once the different colors emerge it stands out nicely. The young plants are very small and take some time to start filling out. At first, I was not giving it enough sun. Because it is in a container, I was able to move it to a sunnier spot which caused the leaves to start putting on their show. It is a great container plant because the stems start arching down around the edges of the container.

Jones, Alabama