Hummingbird Plant, Rabbit Ears
Ruttya fruticosa 'Orange'

Family: Acanthaceae (ah-kanth-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Ruttya (RUT-tee-uh) (Info)
Species: fruticosa (froo-tih-KOH-suh) (Info)
Cultivar: Orange
Additional cultivar information:(aka Jammy Mouth)

Orange

Shiny/Glossy-Textured

Veined

Archer, Florida

Gainesville, Florida

Jacksonville, Florida (2 reports)

Lake City, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Baton Rouge, Louisiana

Big Rapids, Michigan

Saint Helena Island, South Carolina

Austin, Texas (2 reports)

Cedar Park, Texas

Copperas Cove, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas (2 reports)

Hemphill, Texas

Highlands, Texas

Santa Fe, Texas

Victoria, Texas

Zapata, Texas

Woodbridge, Virginia

On Mar 28, 2015, srqkathy from Sarasota, FL wrote:

This has been a nice plant in my zone 9B garden for the past few years, growing in part sun. It goes partially dormant in the winter but bloomed well in the spring and continued into fall. However, it seems to be declining now. I am wondering now if it is more of a perennial, lasting several seasons, but not a long life shrub. It's been worth it though. I will have to take cuttings or start seeds to make sure I still have one. I bought it for hummingbirds and butterflies, but it didn't seem to have any special attraction. I like it because it's different.

On Jan 17, 2014, ginihuff from Hemphill, TX wrote:

I live in the piney woods of east Texas. I bought this plant 2 years ago and up until this fall had left it in the ground and it stayed alive but did nothing spectacular. This fall I built a greenhouse and moved this plant into it. WOW. It bloomed and has been blooming for three months. I had no idea. I will keep it in a pot and put outside this spring and hope it re-blooms so that my hummers and bees can enjoy.

On Oct 1, 2012, palmetto3703 from Mico, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have just purchased some of these plants and they were not cheap. at $9.99 pr gallon container. Am in the Texas hill countey zone 8 B. limestone and clay soil some what amended. I have situataed them in an area that is preotected from frost and wind and gets 6 hr. morning sun. they say they grow to 6 Ft. bu no one seems to know much about them.?? Any coments would be useful!! Scott

On Jun 8, 2012, Sandwichkatexan from Copperas Cove, TX wrote:

I purchased 5 of these this year , They are very hard to find . I hope and pray that they come back next year otherwise I have made a very expensive mistake. This will be my first year growing them but I have wanted them for years, Ever since I saw my friend Elissas plant growing in San Antonio . She called it a jammy mouth . I am only about an hour and a half away from San Antonio so I hope it will make it here through the winter as it does there. I will post details and pictures as the season progresses.

On Oct 22, 2003, aking1a from Baton Rouge, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This plant is relatively rare. The flowers look like 1-2 inch hummingbirds with their wings swept back or, from the front, like rabbits ears. They are full of and drip nectar. Mine is new from cuttings and is just beginning to bloom.