Macho Fern, Giant Sword Fern
Nephrolepis biserrata 'Macho'

Family: Polypodiaceae
Genus: Nephrolepis (nef-roh-LEP-iss) (Info)
Species: biserrata (by-ser-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Macho

New Orleans, Louisiana

Pollock, Louisiana

Cabo Rojo, Puerto Rico

Columbia, South Carolina

Florence, South Carolina (2 reports)

Saint Helena Island, South Carolina

Canyon Lake, Texas

Dripping Springs, Texas

Rosenberg, Texas

On Oct 20, 2011, Lycorys from Lakewood, OH wrote:

I live in Cleveland, Ohio - clearly not a place where I can keep this spectacular fern outdoors year round. However, it makes a wonderful annual in colder zones and is extremely easy to winter over as a houseplant - indirect light and moderate water works great. I picked my first one out of the rubbish three years ago and have divided it twice now. I had fronds nearly 6' long the last 2 summers.

On Apr 15, 2011, 1940model from Campbellton, TX wrote:

Transplanted my beautiful Macho Fern into a wheel barrel (with holes punched out for drainage). She's huge, easy to move around. Believe it or not, I think she likes "going for a ride".

On Oct 8, 2010, TropicalPatty from Canyon Lake, TX wrote:

If you want a really Tropical look, the Macho Fern is the one you need. I have one in a 12 inch basket, another in a very large Mexican Clay Pot and 4 other smaller ones in the garden. They are very easy to grown and truly do live up to their name. I live in Zone 8. My ferns are moved to my greenhouse when the temperatures fall below 35 and then moved back out on warmer days in the winter. This year, I plan to leave one in the ground to see if they can survive our mild winters.

On Nov 4, 2009, mswestover from Yulee, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Planted a couple of them in a flower bed under an oak tree two years ago. The first winter they died back a little; last winter (2009) was a bad one for zone 9a, several freezes, and they died back a lot and I thought they were a goner. Now this year they have come back with a vengence and spreading like crazy. I am dividing them to other spots. Readily available at Lowe's in the fall.

On Apr 14, 2009, BeachTanned from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

This fern, if grown in a rich soil and watered and fertilized regularly, can have fronds of almost six feet, which makes it a spectacular hanging plant. Give it the largest hanging basket you can find and you will be rewarded with lush, cool foliage of classic fern shape. This would be so perfect in a wedding setting. The plant is easily divided and repotted. If allowed to get too dry, will go off color and even lose leaves, but responds well once care is again given. If potted, be sure to use an outward-taper pot. Inward-taper pots will not allow you to remove the rootball without breaking the pot. Grows without much care except for occasional fertilizer and watering in dry seasons in gardens of Ft. Lauderdale. It can be invasive, but that is one of its charms if you have the spac... read more

On Sep 29, 2008, ava02 from Florence, SC (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this macho fern. It has blessed me for some months now. I so much wish that everyone has the same experience with this fine specimen of a fern as I have.

On Jan 15, 2005, SudieGoodman from Broaddus, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

Southeast, TX, Zone 8b Received rooted cutting of Macho Fern.
Had no culture or name for this beautiful fern. I potted upon receipt, placed in greenhouse two years ago. It is five feet tall & wide.

So happy to learn, from your information, that it is hardy so that I can give it a "Macho" name & plant in flower bed - thanks for this much-need information.

On Aug 12, 2004, Scarlete from Tampa, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This is absolutely gorgeous in my front yard bedding area. It gets a wee bit of sun in the morning on one side and a wee bit more on the other side in the early afternoon.

The largest of the fronds are about 5 feet long, with the plant having a width of 7 1/2 feet.

It's rhizomes likes to creep along the house and form new plants but I generally like to keep them to one area. Can be invasive, but easy enough to control and keep in one area.