PlantFiles: Red-margined Dracaena, Dragon Tree
Dracaena marginata 'Colorama'

Family: Asparagaceae
Genus: Dracaena (dra-SEE-nah) (Info)
Species: marginata (mar-jen-AY-tuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Colorama

Pale Green
Cream/Tan

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By air layering

Remove fleshy coating on seeds before storing

By AngelSong
Thumbnail #1 of Dracaena marginata by AngelSong

By Lace6263
Thumbnail #2 of Dracaena marginata by Lace6263

By back2basixmom
Thumbnail #3 of Dracaena marginata by back2basixmom

Positive back2basixmom On Dec 9, 2012, back2basixmom from Avon Park, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

One of my favorite plants to propagate, it never fails. I have 64 plants growing in pots, all taken from cuttings over the years. They do best in morning sun and afternoon filtered sun, they don't require much to be happy. Once a year, I cut all crowns and root them with hormone, takes about two weeks to take root. The bare stems usually regrow several new shoots.

Positive sherizona On Mar 5, 2012, sherizona from Peoria, AZ (Zone 9b) wrote:

I have one growing in a planter on an east-facing patio. It does fine, even in the hottest part of the summer. It goes indoors if the overnight temps get below 40, otherwise it seems to be happy on the patio.

Positive DracoVolans On Oct 10, 2010, DracoVolans from Crestline, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I got mine as a nearly-dead, withered thing from my husband's office when they were moving. I'd seen it sitting out on their porch, neglected and left to die, so I begged to take it home to see if I could save it.

I nursed it along, and it soon grew new leaves on one of the three branches that seem to sprout from the main trunk on all of this kind of plant that I've seen. There had been two plants in the original pot, but one had already died by the time I got to it. One of the three trunks on the remaining plant died. I'd thought that the third had also died off, but now it's showing tiny, new leaves- three spots equidistant around the trunk. Neat growing pattern.

It's sitting in a large pot with other sun-to-light-shade plants (polka-dot plants in three different cultivars, spider plants and some purple tradescantia-like thing that I've never been able to identify) that like a regular watering and it seems to be happy. I hope this little guy flowers, I'd be interested to see that. So far, it hasn't grown in height, much, but it's leaves are deep green with that pretty red margin, all slightly glossy and healthy. Chock up another successful rescue up for the Dragon! >^___^

Scottsdale, Arizona