Tomato 'Hillbilly'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Hillbilly
Additional cultivar information:(aka Flame)
» View all varieties of Tomatoes

Freeport, Texas

Liberty Hill, Texas

West Jordan, Utah

On Sep 13, 2015, BEarthGardens from Douglasville, GA wrote:

Ordered seeds for this heirloom online and have not been disappointed. Beautiful marvel striped tomato with a refreshing fruity taste. Absolutely beautiful eye appeal when sliced. I eat this variety fresh off the vine sliced. Medium yielder and monitor moisture levels carefully as this variety is susceptible to cracking. Have had an infestation of aphids this year and my Hillbillys were all infected in two different grow areas, also had minor damage by Tomato Hornworms. They love the Hillbilly variety. Fruit takes a while to ripen but when they finally do you will see this variety is well worth the wait. My new favorite tomato and collecting seeds for a permanent spot in my vegetable seedbank. Beware of imitators.

On Jan 22, 2011, dcornelius from Corrigan, TX wrote:

Very, very vigourous plants but little if any fruit produced. What was produced was mealy and had no taste. Perhaps to hot in East Texas for this variety. Sorry Hillbilly, I won't try you again.

On Jan 11, 2011, sugarpine from San Jose, CA wrote:

Very nice tomato. For me, it was very productive, and tasted very sweet and fruity. All my friends and family enjoyed them.

On Mar 16, 2010, pestee42 from Molino, FL (Zone 8b) wrote:

I grew yellow hillbilly last year. It did really well. Nice healthy plants with a good amount of large fruit. I loved the taste too, just sliced and sprinkled with salt. I'm growing more from seed for this year, 2010.

On Aug 26, 2009, dalmatian_fan87 from Cascade, VA (Zone 7a) wrote:

Raised this plant from seed. Sure the plant grew fine, but it never flowered ONCE during my whole growing season here in zone 7a, much less any tomaotes.....very dissapointed with it. :(

On Jun 17, 2008, SLO_Garden from San Luis Obispo, CA wrote:

Hillbilly has a place in my garden every year. It has a wonderful sweet flavor, striking appearance, and produces like crazy all season. Anyone that I know that has ever tasted it loves it. It has no drawbacks other than the bugs like to eat it too.

On Nov 18, 2006, carduus from Cuyahoga Falls, OH wrote:

It was beefy and a decent tomato for what it is, a red-striped yellow beefsteak. However, it takes so long to get a tomato to full ripeness that you really need to either grow it several zones south of where I'm at (Northern Ohio, zone 5), or start it indoors in January. As it was, I only got about three tomatoes from this plant before the frost.

On Jun 19, 2006, passiflora_pink from Central, AL (Zone 8a) wrote:

Plants were very productive here and the fruit was attractive. Flavor average.

On May 26, 2006, 82840 from Manvel, TX wrote:

plants are very large and healthy

lots of fruit

On Oct 23, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had little success with bi-color beefsteaks in this climate, and this one is no exception. It rapidly succumbed to nematodes.