PlantFiles: Devil's Ivy, Golden Pothos, Centipede Vine
Epipremnum aureum 'Marble Queen'

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Epipremnum (ep-ih-PREM-num) (Info)
Species: aureum (AW-re-um) (Info)
Cultivar: Marble Queen

Synonym:Pothos aureus
Synonym:Scindapsus aureus

USDA Zone 10a: to -1.1 °C (30 °F)
USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)
USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Inconspicuous/none

Variegated

5.1 to 5.5 (strongly acidic)

By air layering

Thumbnail #6 of Epipremnum aureum by CaptMicha

By Xenomorf
Thumbnail #7 of Epipremnum aureum by Xenomorf

Positive patricktjoyce On Mar 29, 2014, patricktjoyce from Hudson, MA wrote:

Lovely to grow, very hearty, low maintenance. Even indoors they grow quite well. They clean the air of toxins, and they are very easy to maintain.

Negative shaneyfelt On Dec 3, 2013, shaneyfelt from Papaikou, HI wrote:

This plant is a horrid pest when it gets loose in the tropics. The vines rapidly spread and take over, climbing from tree to tree high in the branches where you can't reach them and dropping young plants thick below. Attempting to eradicate them by manually pulling them from trees can result in sores that develop over the following week on the skin from the sap. I'm looking online to see if the skin might eventually build up immunity by handling it or not.

Positive MonicaBrooke On Jun 9, 2012, MonicaBrooke from Laurel, MT wrote:

I have a special place in my heart for the pothos plant. It was my first house plant as a girl of about 17. We received one of these at my grandmothers funeral in 1992. I still have the original plant. Since that time my mother and I have started many plants from this one as well as the offspring. My sister has one at her house and my son will have the one I am starting for him, which he plans to take to college with him. I also have a marble queen that I just purchased. I think the pothos is a great plant it is so beautiful when healthy and the verigation is a wonderful bonus. This plant is hardy and fairly fail safe bearing you do not let it dry out completely. All my plants have been started from stem cuttings in water. I also just started an ejnjoy pothos as well.

Positive jskyieeyes3 On Sep 11, 2010, jskyieeyes3 from Saint Cloud, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

at first i bought this plant to keep inside my house. it was slowly dying, so i moved it out to the back porch. it's been doing exceptionally well ever since! it gets filtered morning sun, and i water it about once a week (temps here in the summer are between 92-96). the leaf color is so beautiful, and it grows pretty quickly. i fertilize with mine fish emulsion once a month during the growing season. the only thing to be weary of is if you own a cat, make sure they don't chew on it. it is toxic to cats, and even though it won't kill them, it causes gastrointestinal upset. i think this would make a good starter plant for beginners; it's very low maintenance! =)

Positive KDot_N_DallasTx On Sep 29, 2007, KDot_N_DallasTx from Garland, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I took some clippings from my moms huge Golden Pothos plant and rooted them in a Bombay Sapphire bottle full of water for about 3-5 months. I then planted it in the burnt orange pot that I have in the picture I posted. I water it 2 times a week and keep it on one of the southern facing windowsill of my home. I fertilize it once a month, but with very very little. Its been growing so fast this past month. The sun does wonders for the plants in my house. Its a gorgeous plant.

Positive StarGazey26 On Jul 31, 2005, StarGazey26 from (Zone 10a) wrote:

My grandmother has had this plant for 21 years! In the same container, in a bathroom, it has dont well and never died.. I am replanting it, and taking cuttings off, to start for my own. I now have baby Philo's that are really old. It is amazing how long this plant has lasted and the white on the leaves is very attractive. I fertalize it with a 20-10-20, by Grow-More, it is a good fertalizer, Urea free! :O)

Positive Larabee On Jun 16, 2004, Larabee from Houston, TX wrote:

This is a very easy plant, and quite lovely. NASA has rated pothos as one of the best plants for purifying the air, and this plant does well indoors. A friend of mine had a root-bound one in a pot on top of his refrigerator and NEVER did anything for it (he literally NEVER even remembered to water it!). It lived this way for quite some time before its leaves began to turn brown. Even then, it was struggling to make small amounts of new growth—this is a very hardy kind of plant that is determined to survive! After I rescued it, removed the dead leaves, repotted it and watered it heavily (with some fertilizer in the water), it has completely recovered and is now making a lot of new growth.

Two warnings:
If you plant it outside and let it climb trees, be very careful—plants (such as English Ivy) that do that can block sunlight from the tree and the tree can slowly die. Also, though pothos can grow in water, putting it there means you have standing water, which is a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Go ahead and plant it in soil—it isn’t picky about what kind.

Positive MotherNature4 On Apr 10, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

When planted outdoors in central Florida it will grow to the top of an oak tree. As the vine gets higher, the leaves grow larger and split or get holes in them to allow the breeze to flow through. As the vine hangs down, the leaves get smaller. It is called Hunter's Robe.

Positive jeannieskydiver On Oct 19, 2003, jeannieskydiver from Tampa, FL wrote:

This is truely one of the most beautifully green plants to have around! It soothes your soul. I have two mature plants on my balcony. One is named pete (petie), the other is Phil. Pete is very stout. Three feet wide, one foot high, and four long, hanging in a three gallon pot; Phil is six inches high and six feet long on either side, wrapping around my railing in a two gallon pot. They are protecting me from the neighbors I think.
Petie actually bloomed this year (I think it was a flower...??)! It looked like a long, banana shaped, hard cluster of ... I can't describe it...it was about two inches long. I wish I had a digital so I could've put it up here. I never knew they had flowers!!!
The only trouble they've ever had is a bout with spider mites. That was pretty harsh. Had to cut Phil back pretty severely (to about two feet long!) He's OK now and back to his normal self and length in just two months!! Good gardening!

Positive purplehbee On Jun 25, 2003, purplehbee from Deer Park, TX wrote:

I love growing these outside in almost all shade. The leaves get so large and they go everywhere.

Positive Sunshine12 On Feb 24, 2003, Sunshine12 wrote:

This plant is often mistaken for Philodendron, Devil's Ivy has heart-shaped, variegated leaves. Let it climb a bark support or trail from a hanging basket. It was formerly known as Scindapsus aureus.

Light:
Expose to medium (bright indirect) light. Avoid full sun. Move according to season. Good light helps plant retain bright markings. It will tolerate low light, but water less.

Water:
Allow soil to dry out between thorough waterings. If plant is staked, keep stake moist by misting. Clean foliage monthly.

Temperature:
Maintain high temperatures for best growth. Tolerates average indoor temperatures. Avoid cold drafts.

Comments:
Use soil mixed with coarse, sterile sand and peat moss. Plant also grows in water. Pinch for bushiness. Propagate by division or cuttings. Use portions of stem with aerial roots. This plant is virtually fool-proof.

Jacksonville, Alabama