Signet Marigold 'Lemon Gem'

Tagetes tenuifolia

Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Tagetes (TAG-e-teez) (Info)
Species: tenuifolia (ten-yoo-ih-FOH-lee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Lemon Gem

Lima, Ohio

Salt Lake City, Utah

Spokane, Washington

On Feb 25, 2014, coriaceous from ROSLINDALE, MA wrote:

A superb performer. The lacy foliage is attractive, and the flowers make up for their small size by their tremendous numbers. I didn't find deadheading necessary.

All in all, a much superior plant to any African or French marigolds I've grown.

On Sep 16, 2012, M_Bond from Belmont, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

These are so unlike the typical marigolds you see - they form lovely dense ~18" rounded mounds with the most wonderful lemon-scented foliage; the small yellow flowers are cheerful and dainty. I was given a six pack of these, and they set quite a lot of seed that I am saving to plant for next season. I think these would be wonderful in a vegetable or herb garden. I just love to run my fingers through them as I walk by to release their scent!

On Jan 21, 2005, critterologist from Frederick, MD (Zone 6b) wrote:

Beautiful, compact plant with lacy, lemon-scented foliage. Flowers are single, lemon yellow, and edible. Grew into nice bushy mounds in my windowboxes, and looks wonderful planted with small pepper like 'Sweet Pickles' or an ornamental chili pepper. I am told it self sows prolifically, and certainly it produced many, many small tufted seeds.

I started these inside, 6 weeks before last frost date, and I also direct sowed some in my deck containers. The direct-sowed plants did as well or better than the pre-started ones.

I got my seed from Burpees in 2004. In their hints, they say soil should not be overly rich, but I planted in potting soil with Ortho time-release fertilizer, and they did well. Burpees also notes that "removing faded blooms lengthens the ... read more