Philodendron xanadu

Family: Araceae (a-RAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Philodendron (fil-oh-DEN-dron) (Info)
Species: xanadu

Los Angeles, California

Pleasant Hill, California

Rancho Cucamonga, California

Reseda, California

San Diego, California (2 reports)

Thousand Oaks, California

Port Charlotte, Florida

Riverview, Florida

Saint Cloud, Florida

Sarasota, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida (2 reports)

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (2 reports)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana

Paulina, Louisiana

Prairieville, Louisiana

Vieques, Puerto Rico

Ladys Island, South Carolina (2 reports)

Boerne, Texas

On Nov 14, 2013, realityfaery from Delano, CA (Zone 9b) wrote:

Love the foliage of this plant! Didn't have a clue what it was until I started tracking it down and someone gave me a pointer of what it could be. The one we got from my grandmother had a little bit of stress to it but still a large, lovely plant. I just may have to steal this one from my mother. It did wonderfully through our hot California summer, I may move it from its current spot once the temp begins to drop, but I think even if I didn't it would make it just fine.

On Sep 16, 2010, jskyieeyes3 from Saint Cloud, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

this is a lovely choice for renters (like myself) who aren't able to have the larger split leaf philodendron variety. my only complaint is that my xanadu is not nearly as bushy as the ones i see used in landscaping for doctor's offices and the like. maybe having it in a pot has something to do with it? or maybe it's still just an immature plant.. either way, i'm choosing to have patience with this adoreable "mini split leaf" and see what happens. =)

On Apr 26, 2009, magpie38 from Houston, TX wrote:

Growing in full shade, with dappled sun in the late afternoon, early evening. They a doing OK, and look nice, but have not yet filled out like mature specimens I have seen on the local college campus. But I have had them for only one year: patience.

On Jan 26, 2006, vossner from Richmond, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

A favorite plant of mine. I have 3-4 growing inground, part shade, hoping that one day they will grow together. Slow grower, leaves get ugly in winter season but it manages to recover by spring. I have covered it in the past if weather was expected to be freezing or below for more than a day. Again, slow grower but worth the wait.

On Apr 22, 2005, TropicalLover21 from Santa Maria, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

Yet another plant i love! Well this guy, is soo cute, and sooo awsome! I love him, i have him in filtered shade in my backyard in a pot... I have him in half cactus mix (Scotts) and half orchid mix (BlackMagic) and he loves it!!! It is a great plant just planted in a pot, or in the ground, make sure you set it where your visitors can enjoy it! I enjoy it alot, it doesnt like alot of water, but it does like to be fed once in a while, i feed all my plants with miracle gro!!! And it does the job... This plant does better outside than inside.. If your having problems of it not being bushy enough, move it into more light! That will do the trick!

On Feb 13, 2005, mutant from Houston, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I had a cutting (very small) from my friend and now on a 4in pot, Im feeling she is growing kinda slow..."philo" is indoors near window with mod shade/light Am I going to wait long,to see my plant grown?

On Nov 24, 2004, rose318 from in Houston, TX (Zone 9a) wrote:

I grow this plant in a container in a shaded area here in Houston Texas. I really enjoy this plant.

On Oct 3, 2004, AridArea from Chandler, AZ (Zone 10a) wrote:

In the Phoenix area, I have tried twice to grow this plant in a shaded patio with southern exposure. Both plants refused to grow new leaves and eventually the existing leaves just fell off leaving a stump.

Interestingly, in Tucson, where the weather is similar, the plant there is huge, green and continues to thrive. I just don't get it. What did I do (or not do)?

On Jan 18, 2004, MotherNature4 from Bartow, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Excellent foliage plant. Gracefully shaped, small leaves are ideal for flower arranging. Plant does well in container. Needs a shady exposure protected from cold winds in winter.

An interesting aside, the leaves have a refreshing aroma. I haven't noticed this in my other Philodendrons.

On Jan 17, 2004, reverendlisa from Austin, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

I have had my Xanadu in a container since 2001. It has done well in Sacramento, CA and in Austin, TX as an outdoor plant (bringing it in when its cold). I have to say its a bit leggier now than it used to be, and I can't seem to figure out what I need to do to make it fuller again - tried various fertilizers, moving it to locations with more sun or shade. Overall, its not a finicky plant just wish I knew how to make it thrive.

On Oct 24, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

Great little plant- perfect for containers, but great for outdoor shadier areas, too. Likes lots of water, but in my experience, is not very finicky. This plant did fine in my old garden in 9b zone without ever burning (10 years). Other Philodendrons did burn in frost (25F) but they were more off the ground and exposed.