PlantFiles: Tomato
Lycopersicon lycopersicum 'Grosse Lisse'

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Grosse Lisse

Regular Leaf

By Albinus
Thumbnail #1 of Lycopersicon lycopersicum by Albinus

Positive jetlag4 On Apr 17, 2013, jetlag4 from McBride, British Columbia

I brought seeds back from Australia. The plants did quite well in my Northern Canada greenhouse. The flavour was okay. I'll be growing these again.

Positive Albinus On Jul 22, 2008, Albinus from Toowoomba
Australia (Zone 9b) wrote:

Grosse Lisse is the most popular variety grown in Australia by home gardeners. It is extremely robust, only being killed by frost, and tolerates temperatures up to 38c (100F) no dramas. The fruits are medium to large in size, mine average between 250-350g (9-12oz). They have thin skins, so are prone to cracking with irregular watering, and susceptible to Queensland Fruit Fly during warm humid weather (which is Summer here). Right now mine are growing beautifully, it's the middle of Winter and in the subtropics we don't get frost yet bountiful sunshine and little rain (helps to regulate the water and nutrient flow).

The plant will easily grow to over 8' tall if you prune the laterals, but this can be bad as my arms can only reach that high! One plant laterally pruned can easily rack up over 8KG (17lb) of fruit, some of my most prolific plants have been over 10KG (22lb). Mine are also very fleshy and excellent for sandwiches.

Positive philld On Sep 14, 2004, philld from HOBART
Australia wrote:

I have grown these in Hobart Tasmania (42 degrees south latitude) for 20 years, they are great tasting heavy producing round and big red tomato.
I live 300mtrs above sea level in a cold climate subject to snow and frost till October so late planting is a must.
However this tomato still grows well and can be harvested by march through to May.
Give them a try they are great.

Neutral yvmes On Aug 9, 2004, yvmes from Sherbrooke

Said in database to be cherry or plum type.
However the name "Grosse Lisse" is French Canadian slang for "Big Smooth". Maybe we are not talking about the same varieties.
Personally, I've never heard about Grosse Lisse and I've been growing tomatoes here in Quebec for forty years... :-)