Okra 'White Velvet'

Abelmoschus esculentus

Family: Malvaceae (mal-VAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Abelmoschus (a-bel-MOS-kus) (Info)
Species: esculentus (es-kew-LEN-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: White Velvet

Pale Yellow

Mobile, Alabama

Valley Park, Mississippi

On Nov 13, 2010, Drahkk from Valley Park, MS wrote:

Pods are absolutely spineless; the velvet name is well earned, as that is how they feel. No need for a ladder in the late season, as plants only grow to about 6 feet. No need to trim side branches; every branch will make pods. No need to cut leaves to force fruiting; you can't stop them from making pods. When I was tired of eating and putting up okra, I left the plants to dry up the last few pods for seed. To my surprise, when I went to collect, I found the top 2 feet of each stem covered with pods. Plenty of dry ones for seed, with fresh ones still forming at the top! Hands down the best experience I have ever had growing okra. It is sad that this variety is becoming so hard to find. I will be saving seed from it for years to come.

Edit, September 2011: I previous... read more

On Apr 21, 2004, BittysGarden from (Zone 7a) wrote:

White velvet okra has pods that are pale green-white in color, long (6-7)inches, tapering, smooth, velvety and thornless. My great grandfather grew this variety.We still grow it today. It has excellent flavor. Great for frying,gumbo and for making pickled okra.

On Oct 30, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

White Velvet is an older variety which is no longer readily available. It is similar in growth and production to Emerald but has pale green pods.