Broad-leaved Mustard, Cabbage Leaf Mustard, Heading Leaf Mustard, Swatow Mustard
Brassica juncea 'Red Giant'

Family: Brassicaceae (brass-ih-KAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Brassica (BRAS-ee-ka) (Info)
Species: juncea (JUN-kee-uh) (Info)
Cultivar: Red Giant

Boise City, Oklahoma

Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania

Radford, Virginia

On Mar 20, 2011, diggo1 from Little Rock, AR (Zone 7b) wrote:

This is my first time planting this variety of mustard for the soul purpose of eating and freezing. It's foliage is too unique for me to want to pick it. Huge deep purple leaves, almost black with lime green new growth. After seeding, I transplanted some saplings while I was thinning my rows into my flower beds. I have had plenty to eat and freeze, as well as 8 or 9 plants used as an ornamental. I seeded it in November. Covered it when the temp got down into the twenties and low teens. Here it is late March and It's lookin' really cool, with no blooms in sight yet. Great plant!

On Apr 10, 2008, konijntje from Seattle, WA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Gorgeous texture, breeze movement and rich deep color from this ultra fast-growing plant. The bunnies tried a few chomps but were possibly deterred from further munching by the spicy taste. Us humans, though, found the young tender leaves to have a lovely flavor. Plants didn't survive our first frost, but it was such a breeze to grow and just thrived in the full sun of a severe drought and over 100-degree summer days. Am planting more this year, for sure.

On Apr 5, 2004, daf0dil wrote:

I have just discovered the Giant Red Mustard and am now a huge fan. I live in Mississippi. I planted it in October and it is still beautiful today. I plan on doubling the amount I planted last year, this coming fall.

On Oct 30, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Red Giant is a large smooth leaf mustard. The leaves are burgandy in color rendering the plant quite ornamental. It is quite good as a raw salad green and as a boiled green. Flavor is more mild than most mustards. If Florida Broad leaf is too pungent, than Red Giant may fit your taste.