Amherstia, Queen of Flowering Trees, Pride of Burma
Amherstia nobilis

Family: Caesalpiniaceae (ses-al-pin-ee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Amherstia (am-HER-stee-uh) (Info)
Species: nobilis (NO-bil-iss) (Info)

over 40 ft. (12 m)

Hawaiian Paradise Park, Hawaii

Dodd City, Texas

On Jan 21, 2014, tingkun from Taoyuan
Taiwan wrote:

I looking for Amherstia nobilis seeds,who has?

On Mar 27, 2012, Frandy333 from Miami, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

Our Amerherstia tree is approximately 8 years old. Started out about 6 feet tall, bloomed only a few blooms every year but as soon as it established itself it now blooms lavishly from March through April. It is so pretty with or without blooms, it's about 25 feet tall now and loves water. This is the first year we had lots of hummingbirds during blooming time and we feel because of that we are now proud owners of not one but two seed pods!

Update... I ended up having 3 seed pods total. Two of the three had only one seed inside the pod. The third pod had 3 seeds. The seeds are about the size of a half dollar. I contacted someone at the Kukiat Gardens in Thailand to help direct me. I was told to wait until the seed pod turned brown only over each seed, not the entire ... read more

On Mar 4, 2011, eliasastro from Athens
Greece (Zone 10a) wrote:

The lack of flowering in Florida is probably explained by the absence of a distinct dry season. Even in the low elevations of the Hawaian islands there is a relatively dry season.
A small dry period also occurs in Sao Paulo, Brazil where the tree is known to flower, despite the fact that their winter is colder than in S Florida.

On Jan 27, 2010, happygreenie from Hilo, HI wrote:

Very beautiful flowers. They look like red firecracker confetti when they fall to the ground.

On May 14, 2009, knkona from Kailua Kona, HI wrote:

I am interested in planting this tree in the Kona Hawaii area at about 500fott elevation on shallow but rich soil. The base lava rock is not very far below the surface but it is not solid, so roots can go between, I just dont see how the soil can be very rich down there so i wonder it this condition will stunt the tree. I have irrigation so consistent moisture isn't a problem.

On Mar 25, 2009, raphael_Song from KL
Malaysia wrote:

i do have lots of this plants.. my location Malaysia. it's very slow growing plant. takes 3 years to grow 1m height. wants to know more? email me. s8191@yahoo.com

On Feb 7, 2008, einaudi from Hana, HI (Zone 11) wrote:

Hats off to anyone who started his/her plants from seed! I have heard that this is very difficult because in many areas Amherstia does not set seeds or the seeds are not viable. This is one of the reasons that Amherstia is so rare. My plant resulted from air-layering a branch - it took two years for it to start looking like a tree rather than a branch.

Amherstia is endemic to Burma, where it grows on calcareous soil; our basaltic soil in Hana is on the acid side, so I give the plant a sweetner twice a year.

On Oct 17, 2007, popper1 from Lakeland, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

A plant that is fun to grow because it has so many interesting qualities. Seeing the new buds form that signify a new set of leaves coming, watching the small, soft, limp, pinkish leaves pour out from the bud and then grow, turn green, stiffen and stand up over the next week or so if an amazing process. The flowers are large and amazing shape and color. The entire inflorescence has a remarkable shape.
Hard to find, expensive and sensitive to the cold. Does not like wind. Doesn't like it's root disturbed. Do not let it dry out. Otherwise it is easy to grow!

On Sep 4, 2006, 20012001 from sant quirze del valls
Spain wrote:

I took three seeds from a botanical garden in Malta,two yerars ago, after four weeks at 24C the plants came out, and now the plants are 1 m tall.
It was not difficult to germinate the seeds. In winter I keep the plants indors.

On Jul 10, 2004, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

I don't know a whole lot about it either, but saw a large one in Hawaii (about 30' tall) and some people with me knew this tree saying that many 'experts' felt this tree had the most beautiful flowers of any tree in the world... I have to say, the flowers and new leaves of this tree are spectacular, though the tree itself is not that amazing.

On Oct 30, 2003, Monocromatico from Rio de Janeiro
Brazil (Zone 11) wrote:

I dont know much about this tree. All I know is about its beautiful, red and exotic flowers. I saw a small specimen blooming in the Botanical Garden, and those flowers caught my attention. I guess older specimens can be really fantastic at full bloom.