PlantFiles: Angelica
Angelica pachycarpa

Family: Apiaceae (ay-pee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Angelica (an-JEL-ee-kuh) (Info)
Species: pachycarpa

Thumbnail #6 of Angelica pachycarpa by gaylarson

By AnniesAnnuals
Thumbnail #7 of Angelica pachycarpa by AnniesAnnuals

Positive Silphion On Jun 6, 2006, Silphion from Portland, OR (Zone 8b) wrote:

A wonderful folage plant that should be better known in the market than it is (I'm also glad it's listed here because the nursery where I bought it didn't have a latin name and just called it "Perrenial Evergreen Angelica") As with most folage plants the flowers are nothing, pale yellowgreen and come on at a time when the summer dormancy is starting to take hold. If I showed a pic of my plant now I can't imagine anyone would buy it, but I have to say that I've never seen an evergreen with such a unique folage display...actually I thought it was some kind of Ferula before the Nurseryman told me different.

This is my first Angelica and I was excited to see rosemarysims descriptions as far as how to propigate it but, despite it being listed here as Perrenial I have to ask: Is this a biennial self-sowing plant? The vendor link above lists it as biennial.

Positive rosemarysims On Jan 23, 2006, rosemarysims from Mermentau, LA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is a gorgeous winter foliage plant in the gulf south. It begins to grow in fall from sturdy tubers in fall and then goes completely dormant when the heat hits in early June or so. It is extremely easy from seed but the plant can also be increased by division of the tubers. The stems look very much like A arch-angelica and the cut stem smells of licorice but I don't know if it is edible or not. If it is, it would probably be a good substitute for angelica since that plant must be grown as an annual here.

Neutral hanna1 On Jul 7, 2004, hanna1 from Castro Valley, CA (Zone 9a) wrote:

A very different looking plant, mine grew to over 2ft, maybe too much shade, I liked the foliage, flower was about 3" across, non-destript flowerets, couldn't really tell a color.

Positive Happenstance On Nov 1, 2003, Happenstance from Northern California, CA wrote:

Very glossy dark green "plastic" looking foliage, white/lime green flowers. Native of New Zealand. Grows to a perfect 3' x 3' mound and self-sows readily.

Castro Valley, California