Sasanqua Camellia, Autumn Camellia 'Yuletide'

Camellia sasanqua

Family: Theaceae (tee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Camellia (kuh-MEE-lee-a) (Info)
Species: sasanqua (suh-SAN-kwuh) (Info)
Cultivar: Yuletide
Synonym:Camellia x vernalis
» View all varieties of Camellias

Late Fall/Early Winter

By grafting

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Houston, Alabama

Augusta, Georgia

Cordele, Georgia

Thomson, Georgia

Abita Springs, Louisiana

Baton Rouge, Louisiana (3 reports)

Metairie, Louisiana

Salem, Oregon

Beaufort, South Carolina

Charleston, South Carolina

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina

Lexington, South Carolina (2 reports)

Rock Hill, South Carolina

Graham, Washington

Marysville, Washington

Olympia, Washington

On Oct 28, 2011, thinkinonit from Norfolk, VA wrote:

Live in Norfolk VA, My soil is slightly acidic. I have added coffee grounds a few times around the roots as well as acidic/camellia food 2 months month ago. I then, seeing the buds get begger, added a bloom booster fertilizer 2 weeks ago. I have to say, The bush is completely covered in buds. 3 of them opened this morning. It loves to be fed. Planted in semi shade here. Was in full bloom for the holidays, I have to say out of all the camellias I have and have seen for sale at the nursery these have the strongest scent.finished blooming in Norfolk feb 1

On Oct 10, 2010, trackinsand from mid central, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

other than a little tea scale the first year i bought this plant, it has been pest free. i sprayed it with cooking oil spray to kill the scale and it lost a few leaves but came back beautifully. i have it in a large bottomless pot and moved it from a mostly shady area this spring to full sun in the garden. it loves it! i would never have believed it could take full florida sun but this summer was particularly hot and it never skipped a beat, lost a leaf, scorched or wilted. i'm hoping for even more flowers this winter in its new spot. this is an all around great plant for florida.

On Mar 31, 2010, wonderfulworld from Edmonds, WA wrote:

I have had Camellia Yuletide in a pot for about 4 years in the shade in Seattle area. It has withstood temps down to 17 degrees. Although it has never bloomed at Christmas. Usually blooms in Feb or later. Not sure if it is because it is in shade or temps are to cold. Probably the later I would think. Very drought tolerant and can take abuse quite well and come back. If left in large pot it will need to be pruned a bit down the road. Just wish it would bloom a bit earlier. But love the red blooms in winter! Camellias are easy to grow and no pest here the n.w.

On Jan 5, 2010, JoyfulSeason from Kerrville, TX wrote:

I live in Kerrville, TX (cold zone 7b/8a; heat zone 8/9), and acquired a camellia 'Yuletide' plant in September. I planted it in a container thinking I would have to move it around to shady spots seasonally to keep it out of the heat of our unrelenting sun. I currently have it in a greenhouse with 50% humidity, and have kept it at 55-60 degrees. It is receiving good light. I have watered it faithfully and have given it weak solutions of acid fertilizer, as our native water is a little alkaline. My problem is that it bloomed beautifully during November, but then started dropping buds and leaves in December. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.... I plan to put "Yulie" outdoors as soon as I can rely on no more frost, but am wondering if it should reside outdoors year-around. Can anyon... read more

On Nov 10, 2008, LynnBia from Mint Hill, NC (Zone 7b) wrote:

I wanted something unusual for the front porch for Xmas, so I went off in search of Nandina Heavenly Bamboo for its shiny dark foliage and nice red berries; instead I found THIS!! It is just spectacular, appearing to have bright yellow lights right in the flowers. Since it is not a large plant, I will probably keep it in a pot a couple years before putting it in the ground. From what I've read, it should do okay in a container. So festive!!

On Mar 17, 2007, berrygirl from Braselton, GA (Zone 7b) wrote:

Camellia sasanqua 'Yuletide' RED WINTER CAMELLIA EG (z7) (Fra,Cut)
There is a profusion of small single bright-red flowers on this compact upright plant in late fall and into winter. Sun-PSh/Med

On Nov 3, 2003, Toxicodendron from Piedmont, MO (Zone 6a) wrote:

I am certainly not an expert with this genus, but I do have 3 types in pots that have given me a lot of pleasure during the drab winter months here in Missouri. I grow them like I do Florist's azaleas: moist acidic humusy soil, bright indirect light, very little pruning, and weak fertilizer solution when watering. Once a year, in late spring, I topdress with a little special fertilizer for acid-loving plants. If given too much shade flowering will be sparse, but on the other hand, hot direct sun will scorch the leaves. I usually put them out for the summer under the dappled shade of trees. A mulch over the soil in the pot helps conserve moisture for the shallow roots. When indoors for the winter, try to keep cool (50 to 60 degreesF at night).