Bromeliad
Alcantarea odorata

Family: Bromeliaceae (bro-mee-lee-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Alcantarea (al-kan-TAR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: odorata (oh-dor-AY-tuh) (Info)

Alpines and Rock Gardens

Maroon (Purple-Brown)

Burgundy

This plant is monocarpic

Bag seedheads to capture ripening seed

Seed does not store well; sow as soon as possible

Fort Pierce, Florida

Key West, Florida

Loxahatchee, Florida

Naples, Florida

New Port Richey, Florida

Ainaloa, Hawaii

Wailuku, Hawaii

On Apr 8, 2012, gsytch from New Port Richey, FL wrote:

Planted in part sun in my backyard, zone 9b New Port Richey FL (coastal Tampa Bay just N of Clearwater). Tolerated the past winters fine with a light cover....well into the 20'sF (about 27F but below freezing for 10+hours and sleet one morning in '09). It is now waist high and the bloom spike rising. Requires very little care and receives nothing more than occasional spraying and a little food. Grows well with all my other Broms.

On Jul 16, 2011, kungfoochimp from Wailuku, HI (Zone 12a) wrote:

Nice specimen plant. Needs copious amounts of water. Only tolerates part sun, and then only when watered daily. I was out of the country for 3 weeks, and my house sitter watered "the top", with only minimal amounts reaching the pot. This nearly killed it. Can reach 6' in diameter. Not sure on cold hardiness as it rarely goes under 60F here in Wailuku, HI. Pups have appeared around the base of the main plant. These were easy to remove (with roots) and re-pot.

On Jan 19, 2008, htop from San Antonio, TX (Zone 8b) wrote:

I have not grown this plant. I believe that the bloom color is yellow. The photos that I have uploaded were taken at the Kula Botanical Garden and the plant was identified there as being Alcantarea odorata. I am not absolutely positive of the identity. If anyone has additional information to corroborate the ID or to suggest another, please let me know.