Palm
Chamaedorea plumosa

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Chamaedorea (kam-ee-DOR-ee-uh) (Info)
Species: plumosa (plum-OH-suh) (Info)

Palms

Blue-Green

Pale Yellow

Inconspicuous/none

Blooms all year

From seed; germinate in vitro in gelatin, agar or other medium

Berkeley, California

Ventura, California

Visalia, California

Brandon, Florida

On Sep 19, 2012, BayAreaTropics from Hayward, CA wrote:

Easy to grow,can take deep shade. Shallow rooted as a trunking one of mine was pushed over by cats? raccoons? maybe a dog that got into my yard?
Attractive trunk when grown in shade..lime green and ringed with a sugar cane look.
As far as how to grow in the landscape,to each his own but..my feeling is..if you grow in groups as some recommend,you lose all the palm effect. It becomes just another bamboo. Just my opinion.

update 2013: It turned out the damage was caused by gophers eating the roots. I transplanted it..and I could see the roots at one time were nubs. Yet,it did not die and had grown a new set of roots. Now in near full sun,looks ok.

On Aug 18, 2010, TropiSocal_dave from Garden Grove, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

By far, C. plumosa is the fastest growing of my many palms. I think they are best in groups of three or more because they are thin. These palms seem to appreciate lots of moisture.

On Nov 4, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is one of the most robust species of Chamaedorea, growing 'fast' and able to tolerate full sun, even in inland Southern California. It is one of the newest described Chamaedoreas but is already quite common in the landscapes of palm nuts. It looks a bit like a single culm of bamboo topped with a wispy tuft of sparsely plumose leaves. It makes a nice specimen in an open landscape, but will also do well in shadier gardens. Though it can handle some drought it appreciates a lot of water (but I have rotted one from over-watering in clay). It's one of the most versitile palms for So Cal. I have no experience with this palm in other parts of the US or the world.

This is one of the few species that I am even able to tell male and females apart (that is usually a feat I l... read more