Devil's Trumpet, Horn of Plenty, Downy Thorn Apple 'Double Purple'

Datura metel

Genus: Datura (duh-TOO-ruh) (Info)
Species: metel (MET-el) (Info)
Cultivar: Double Purple
» View all varieties of Brugmansias

Decatur, Alabama

Elmore, Alabama

Fairhope, Alabama

Gadsden, Alabama (2 reports)

Kinston, Alabama

Seal Beach, California

Auburndale, Florida

Cocoa Beach, Florida

Dunnellon, Florida

Fort Lauderdale, Florida (2 reports)

Holiday, Florida

Saint Petersburg, Florida

Sebring, Florida

Summerland Key, Florida

West Palm Beach, Florida

Blakely, Georgia (2 reports)

Patterson, Georgia

Carlisle, Pennsylvania

Washington, Pennsylvania

Columbia, South Carolina

Pocahontas, Tennessee

Arlington, Texas (2 reports)

Broaddus, Texas

Colleyville, Texas

Corpus Christi, Texas

Freeport, Texas

Galveston, Texas

Jacksonville, Texas

Midland, Texas

Missouri City, Texas

Pasadena, Texas (2 reports)

Pipe Creek, Texas

San Antonio, Texas (2 reports)

Seguin, Texas

Sherman, Texas

Tyler, Texas

Whitewright, Texas

Sammamish, Washington

Elkins, West Virginia

Racine, Wisconsin

On May 4, 2013, LaineinMaine from Arundel, ME wrote:

Love this plant. I grow them as annuals from seed every year. After first frost I cut the spiny seed pods off and put them in a bowl in a dry out of the way spot. The pods will split, then I shake out the seeds and
let them sit a little longer to totally dry out. Do not rinse! I keep the seeds in a jar in my cellar over winter, and start them in February in a good seed starting mix. The seeds take about a month to germinate. I plant them both in the garden as well as pots. They take full sun (lf kept well watered) or nearly full shade. They are beautiful in bloom, and are a plant that always draws comments in my garden.

On Aug 16, 2010, alzone7 from Gadsden, AL wrote:

Beautiful plant, but BEWARE THE TOMATO HORN WORM! I just found the first bloom of the year on the ground, almost all the leaves gone, and four fat green caterpillars feasting on what was left. The datura must be related to the tomato plant. I normally don't spray anything in the garden, but I did spray these. I am trying to grow a couple of the plants to save seeds for our Master Gardeners to propagate for our Spring plant sale. Now I just hope they survive and bloom again. Moral of this story: check your plants often and remove the little caterpillars before they remove your leaves.

On Jan 29, 2010, walkabout12 wrote:

A wonderful double or triple flowering Datura.
Flowers open at night and have a nocturnal fragrance.
Very floriferous.
Can be grown as an annual in cooler climates or a perennial in the tropicals where it can reach a height of 6 ft.
Excellent choice for container culture.
Moderate water needs when growing.

Datura metel is thought to be a cultigen, i.e. to have been developed in cultivation.

On Nov 19, 2009, redpondranch from Seguin, TX wrote:

The flowers on this datura are beautiful, and the scent is best enjoyed at a distance. Just brushing past the plant, especially early in the morning, releases a lovely, delicate scent. Just resist the urge to bury your nose in one of the flowers! Up close and individually, these flowers smell dreadful! They self-seed readily, and can grow quite large and ungainly. They are one of the few things in my garden that the deer leave alone. Keep children and pets away from this beauty, as all parts of the plant are extremely toxic!

On Sep 4, 2009, trinawitch from Canton,IL &Dent County, MO (Zone 5b) wrote:

I HATE this thing, it stinks, the blooms thank god don't last long, but they look disgusting when they start to go and take forever to fall off making the plant look sickly....worst purchase I ever made! And it outgrows its pot quicker than I can replant it!

On Jun 29, 2009, nogottarancho from Maricopa, AZ wrote:

planted a tombstone rose by the patio making a deep saucer to hold water. two of these came up at the same time; fear of poisioning our dogs forced us to pull them up. blooms at night; rank grower.

we have a house that is former rental house and figured seeds were there all the time and waiting for right conditions.

On May 24, 2008, ladygreensleeves from West Palm Beach, FL wrote:

would it be possible to wrap a baggie around the pods before they burst to collect the seeds.......just a thought.

On Mar 10, 2008, lost_herd from okotoks, AB (Zone 3a) wrote:

Thanks for the information! I have saved my seeds and am now waiting for them to germinate...

On Nov 15, 2007, nekochanninja from Oldsmar, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

This plant has become an all time favorite of mine. I dug up two babies from my parents new house not knowing what it was, just loving the flowers on some of the adult plants in their garden. I was amazed to see how fast they started growing and flowering. It's only been about three months! I hope to catch the seeds before they scatter into my grass and I accidentely mow them over!

On Aug 13, 2007, thetripscaptain from Racine, WI (Zone 5a) wrote:

The double purple flowers are nice but I think I prefer the regular white flower Datura. The white version seems to be more lively whereas the purple one is slower growing. Also the purple flowers lack any of the great scent of the white flowers.

I'm glad I finally grew the double purple Datura, but I think next year I'll get another white one.

On Jun 25, 2007, eagle_eyes from Fort Lauderdale, FL wrote:

a friend gave me the plant...it's doing quite nicely since i planted it in the ground....i looked it up in ratsch's 'encyclopedia of phychoactive plants' and wondered if anyone had any experiences using that plant as an entheogen??
i was googling around the net about the plant as well and found your site ...

On Jun 18, 2006, spaceman_spiff from Saint Petersburg, FL (Zone 9b) wrote:

I just acquired one of these plants a few months ago and it has been doing extremely well. Recently it had five open blooms on the same plant at one time. (See photos). Each flower seems to bloom for about two days.

On Jun 14, 2006, demeter68 from Mt. Olive, MS (Zone 8b) wrote:

I love this plant. It is so striking. This is the first time I have grown one. I started with a 12" plant about 2 weeks ago. It is planted in full sun (well, a little afternoon shade) and it is now 2 ft tall. It is even growing that well in our heavy clay soil, although the soil in that bed has been amended a little (not enough). It has bloomed once ( I hope for seeds). It doesn't have the greatest fragrance, so I planted it away from the doorway where the moonflowers can overpower it at night. I guess it won't live through the winter here, but hopefully I can get some seeds this year. A lady told me last fall to store my ornamental pepper seeds in cornmeal to prevent mold--maybe that will work for these, too.

On Aug 30, 2005, frostweed from Josephine, Arlington, TX (Zone 8a) wrote:

This Datura will start blooming even on a small plant. The flowers are beautiful with a lifgt scent.
The leaves are a purpelish green, very interesting.

On Oct 4, 2004, onalee from Brooksville, FL (Zone 9a) wrote:

Seed Saving Tips:

On the double daturas, you really have no way to know until they start cracking when the seeds are ready. I check ours 2-3 times a day and when they start cracking is when I cut them from the bush- even then we miss them sometimes! The double daturas aren't so bad about spewing all their seeds out right away - you should have a few hours after they crack before they really start to drop the seeds - the single whites, however - drop them immediately when they open.

Look for small cracks in the pod - it will seem like it takes forever from the time they bloom and then all of the sudden you will get many pods breaking at one time. I have yet to be able to keep records good enough to time the bloom to pod cracking, but it takes a good whi... read more

On Aug 1, 2004, Buttoneer from Carlisle, PA (Zone 6b) wrote:

This is the best year for this plant ever. Today, it had 4 flowers blooming. I am freezing the stamens and when my triple yellow Datura blooms within the next few days, I will try to cross-pollenate them & see what I get.

On Dec 17, 2003, maidlowj from FORT LAUDERDALE, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

I live in So. Fl & have the peach/pink colored Datura, would love to see if this one will grow as well. I uaually take cuttings off my "tree". Cuttings dipped in root tone & then into soil take right off. Where can we find this purple beauty?