Tomato 'Dr. Carolyn'

Lycopersicon lycopersicum

Genus: Lycopersicon (ly-koh-PER-see-kon) (Info)
Species: lycopersicum (ly-koh-PER-see-kum) (Info)
Cultivar: Dr. Carolyn

Boise, Idaho

Bluefield, Virginia

Weyers Cave, Virginia

On Sep 20, 2011, BambooSue from Silver Spring, MD (Zone 7a) wrote:

This tomato is indeed very sweet, and even friends who don't like tomatoes (why am I friends with these people?) like Dr. Carolyn.

I haven't had problems with cracking, except for once when I accidentally left some newly harvested fruits in a bowl of water while rinsing them. An hour later, every single one had cracked.

This is a mannerly, upright plant and barely required pruning.

The only downside I noticed was that it's hard to tell when the little guys are ripe, since the fruit is so pale. The 100% ripe ones are super sweet, but I accidentally harvested a lot at 80% ripe, which was still delicious.

On Jan 6, 2006, Zeppy from Shenandoah Valley, VA (Zone 6b) wrote:

Nice full flavor; very prolific. Nice large cherry.

I've had to amend this description to add that the cracking on the Dr. C's far, far exceeds that of any other cherry I grow. Nearly every fruit cracks, whether picked early or late, whether on the vine or sitting in the fruit bowl. Very frustrating.

On Jan 20, 2005, Tplant from Pembroke Pines, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

Very tasty golden yellow cherry tomatoes that seem to replace themselves as you pick them. Delicious, sweet crunchy taste and adults and children loved them. One of my favorites.

On Nov 6, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

This is my second year growing Dr. Carolyn. I started as a lark growing them for a friend whose wife is named Carolyn and his his Daughter is named Jenny. He also loves cherry tomatoes. Dr. Carolyn grew and produced well although the plants are less than half the size of the hybrid Jenny. I don't eat cherry tomatoes but I had no trouble disposing of them. They were used in salads and several folks ate them like table grapes. The pale yellow fruit is particularly attractive as most others are darker yellows to orange.