Orange Crownshaft Palm, Pinang Merah

Areca vestiaria

Family: Arecaceae (ar-ek-AY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Areca (a-REEK-uh) (Info)
Species: vestiaria (ves-tee-AY-ree-uh) (Info)

USDA Zone 10b: to 1.7 °C (35 °F)

USDA Zone 11: above 4.5 °C (40 °F)

Pale Yellow

Winter Park, Florida

Ainaloa, Hawaii

On Jul 27, 2015, IlhadoPico from Sao Roque do Pico
Portugal (Zone 11) wrote:

Dude.... I am in the Azores, zone 11B, but where can I buy this palm from?

On Mar 1, 2013, psljbeachj from Jensen Beach, FL (Zone 10b) wrote:

We have had great success with this palm in the ground. Its grown at a respectable rate. We sustained negative cold damage in the winter of 2009/10 and a brief cold snap in late 2010. We recommend abundant water in periods when the rain is in frequent. Also of note, it loathes salt wind.

On Jun 17, 2011, billowen from Port Charlotte, FL (Zone 10a) wrote:

I bought a small pot of these several years ago, They have been moved to larger pots every couple of years and are growing in partial shade inside my pool cage. This is one of my favorites in my collection, they are in Miracle Grow Potting soil and I give them water most every day. My cluster is almost six feet now and looks beautiful. Has been very easy to grow here, but always protected from cold.

On Feb 2, 2010, MB_Palms from Winter Park, FL wrote:

As the previous palm enthusiast wrote below, the Areca vestiaria is best left for the tropical regions of the world. Mostly Zones 10-11.

However we have been growing the vestiaria in Central Florida for 3 years now with little to no problems. We have grown them from seedlings to 3 gallons in that time span through 2 very tough winters (2008-2009; low of 28 & 2009-2010; low of 28). They were mostly grown in green houses during the winter, but a few were left out under canopy as tests subjects and most survived with medium damage. In the same green house as the vestiairia’s during the 2009-2010 severe Florida freeze (7 straight days of weather under 35) we lost multiple Pinanga, Euterpe, and Vershaffeltia species, but the vestiaria’s were mostly undamaged, with some showi... read more

On Jun 16, 2006, jungleboy_fl from Naples, FL wrote:

Areca vestiaria is a most beautiful palm, indeed. I've had moderate success in South Florida, where it grows well during our long hot and humid summers. However, it is extremely cold sensitive, and I cannot imagine it doing well anywhere when there is not a lot of heat and humidity. Growth under any conditions other than tropical would yield the slowest imaginable growth, and most likely, eventual death. This palm is perfect for a tropical conservatory, and would be the delight of any greenhouse hobbyist.

One of the primary mistakes I find many enthusiasts make when considering an exotic specimen for their landscape, is that most only consider the minimum temperature a palm can supposedly withstand. Of course minimum low temperatures are a consideration, but in order ... read more

On Aug 23, 2004, Kylecawaza from Corte Madera, CA (Zone 10a) wrote:

THeir are multiple specimens of this palm growing in some shade in Southern California.There is an 8 foot specimen in Vista CA. They prefer the cool coast more than the inland temperatures where their can be an occasional frost. If you protect it from frost though, this palm is a good one to try. It is somewhat cool tolerant. Reguardless what someone else says, it can if you live along the coast in a place that has good air drainage.

On Nov 7, 2003, palmbob from Acton, CA (Zone 8b) wrote:

This is considered one of the most beautifully colored palms in the world. Alas, it won't grow here in Southern California, though it has been tried over and over. It can grow in a slightly warmer climate, and loves Hawaii. It has one of the most strikingly colored petioles and crownshafts- brilliant orange-red. And the fruits and flowers are pretty brightly colored, too. The trunk is an attractive deep green ringed stem. There are some varieties that have maroon leaves, too, though I haven't seen these with much trunk.

PS regardless of what others may claim, this palm does not grow in southern CAlifornia. But try all you want. Maybe you will be one to succeed! I am pretty familiar with who is growing what here and this palm is not on my radar at this time (2006)... ... read more