PlantFiles: Watermelon
Citrullus lanatus 'Orangeglo'

Family: Cucurbitaceae (koo-ker-bih-TAY-see-ee) (Info)
Genus: Citrullus (SIT-ruh-lus) (Info)
Species: lanatus (la-NA-tus) (Info)
Cultivar: Orangeglo

Thumbnail #4 of Citrullus lanatus by daled

By daled
Thumbnail #5 of Citrullus lanatus by daled

Positive garden350 On Apr 1, 2014, garden350 from ALLSTON, MA wrote:

Orangeglo was really good in Boston. I grew it next to my driveway and let the vines go completely across the asphalt which provided extra heat. I never really watered it other than maybe 4 times, the rain did the rest. Should I water more? Because it tasted good but I was hoping for a little bit better taste. I read about 'tropical' tones hints of mango etc? Also I think there were areas concentrated with a little better taste than others. But it was really good, I am always on the hunt for something that blows away all other watermelons. I also waited until the tendril was mostly brown and by then September 7, the leaves were getting brown too and it was ripe or as ripe as it was going to get since the next week the leaves were completely brown.

Positive eggbeater On Feb 13, 2006, eggbeater from Elton, LA wrote:

This is the best orange fleshed melon I have ever tasted.Some of them grow to 40 pounds,but even those under 20 pounds are very good. I grow them for local retail sales,and each year the demand grows.I agree with Farmerdill about their having very tender rinds.Also,I find them slow to emerge,and I sometimes have difficulty getting a good stand,

Positive Indy On Sep 16, 2005, Indy from Alexandria, IN (Zone 6a) wrote:

I find that this melon is quite good if it grows over 20 pounds. My one plant this year produced 4 large melons weighing a total of 119 pounds. It is growing 2 more now [Sept 16].

It is very slow to emerge from seed. While others are growing in 3 to 5 days, this one likes 7 to 10 days.

Positive Farmerdill On Nov 7, 2003, Farmerdill from Augusta, GA (Zone 8a) wrote:

Orangeglo is a long type orange fleshed melon with similar markings to the Georgia Rattlesnake and its derivatives. It is a large melon (avg 30 lbs). It is extremely prolific and delicious. It has two drawbacks. 1. It is a late ripening melon 2. The rind is so tender that it must be handled gingerly on the way to the table. It does not crack in the field, however

Augusta, Georgia